Video editing

rapsidy

Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:56 pm

I have noticed some fancy videos posted on the TG student reviews and was wondering what or how people did them, what software etc..

As all I have done is shoot the vid on my video recorder JVC everio and transfer to my pc and upload from there.

Now all of a sudden the uploaded doesnt like it and wont up load saying not recognised vid format.

Sorry i really digressed there, so i suppose im asking two questions

1. what video editting software do people use to make there great vids

2. what software do you use to convert a raw video imagine of the video recorder so it can be uploaded?

I havent had a problem before and not sure why it wont work now.

your help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Brad

michelew

Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:32 pm

Brad, I use the camera in my computer to film (need to do something about lighting better). I then use iMovie to edit it. The upload system doesn't take the native iMovie format anymore, so I now convert it to Quicktime format .avi. If you enter the upload system, there is a list of the formats that are accepted by extension. Since avi extensions work you could try coverting or resaving it into the QuickTime format. If that doesn't work one of the tech geniuses should be able to help.

Music Junkie

Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:25 pm

Brad:

There are too many choices for people on this stuff. Most of them good..... :)

Personally, I use the following:

Video: Kodak Zi8 (still trying to figure a good audio for this one - trying to find a good mic) or JVC model GZ-MG70U hard disk camcorder (better audio, but much more bulky and shorter battery life - good video though). The Zi8 will give me .mov files to work with and the JVC will give me .MOD files. The .mov can be directly uploaded, but they can get kind of big. So I will use a free converter like alltoavi to convert them to a decent file size while trying not to loose too much quality... :unsure: One I have them in a good size, I can do other things like crop, overlay video or audio.... Mostly it could just be uploaded at this time. For the .MOD I sometimes use AVS Video Converter (good program, but not free - many people here are using AVS Video Editor to do their stuff).

I have not gotten into the dubbing, PIP, or collaborations yet (although I am looking into this stuff now - so I have some to learn as well.... :) )

I hope I have not confused you. There are sure to be other stopping by with their take as well.

Cheers!

J

willem

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:46 pm

Brad,,

Iuse for recording a sony handy cam with a tape(that's old) and download it to the computer wIth WINDOWS MOVIEMAKER,,there you can edit everything you want and does good,you can evEn make PIPS,or SPLITSCREEN, but must put some .xml files to it,that you can find on the internet..when i have record my vid has the AVI format so i don't have to convert..

When you have a modern computer i can advice you to buy AVS for editing and there are much people her that use the KODAK Zi8 and are very pleased with it,,only i find to that it makes very big formats or files,, i read sometime that it cost 15 minutes to upload,,but i must say there vids are good ..

There is a group here where you can read all the experience that people had..

rapsidy

Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:25 am

Thanks for the tips

I downloaded the allavi free version mjunkie suggested and was so surprised how quick it took to up load, like 5 mins where as normally it was taking hours.

I will look into the quick time program michelle

and the media maker willem, thanks, hopefullt you will see an improvement with next video

jayswett

Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:33 am

Let us know how you get on with this. Learning how to use Moviemaker and AVS (windows based systems) takes some time, but is definitely worth doing. There are tutorials on youttube that are often helpful. You can find them by typing "moviemaker tutorial" or "AVS tutorial" into the youtube search box. Good luck.

AcousticAl

Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:26 am

Hi Brad,

I started a group called TG Techies a while ago. The idea was to have a place for info and questions on all things video. There's a lot of info in there for you. Check it out and let us know if you have any further questions.

Here's the link:
http://www.totallyguitars.com/community ... eo+Techies

rapsidy

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:20 am

thanks jay

good tip i will definately check this out after ive been to Als section

Al I'm coming to have a look now :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic