Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam in Concert

tovo

Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:12 pm

Hi guys.

Last night I had the opportunity to see the artist formerly known as Cat Stevens in concert in Adelaide. I was blown away by the quality of his voice. I think everyone was a little apprehensive, not knowing what to expect in terms of old hits vs new numbers and also there was a slight apprehensiveness that he would start to preach Islam. None of those concerns proved to be founded. He was engaging and relaxed. He sung just about every hit and the quality of his voice as good as ever, perhaps it is stronger.

I know that Yusuf Islam lost a lot of fans with some statements he made some years ago. All I would say is that I know I have said things (many things) that I later regretted.

Anyway, I managed to sneak this 30 second footage before I could get sprung by security and tossed out, which would have been devastating given the cost of the ticket!

When the concert was over, I knew I had seen a World class entertainer.

cosmicmechanic

Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:35 pm

Tony, thanks for the sneak peak! TG's secret agent man never sleeps.

But is your cover blown? Won't the concert venue personnel now check for suspicious green spectators in the audience? Don't take unnecessary risks, stay safe.

It took me a while, but I now realize Cat Stevens was put in an untenable situation all those years ago, and he did the best he knew how.

A great artist, still love him.

Pierre

tovo

Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:50 pm

Yeah Pierre it's tough to blend in at the best of times when you are a big green ogre, tougher when you whip out your phone and start filming. The security dude (one of dozens) headed my way so I had to stop rather abruptly.

Chasplaya

Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:51 pm

Double 030secs OHMS. Cool capture of a cool song Tony. My first recollection of Cat was way back when I was a teen, didn't much care for him then, partly cos it was my Sisters LP and I enjoyed ribbin her music taste. Gotta say I appreciate his music way more now, just don't let onto my sister though

BigBear

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:49 am

Tony- sounds like a great concert! I think Yusef got a bad rap. He went from spoiled rich English kid, to international superstar, to embracing Islam and rejecting his previous stardom, to outspoken advocate for Islam, to contrite ans still very talented artist. He's had quite a ride!

He has an incredible volume of work and he always struck me a kind, gentle spirit who ultimately has done a lot of good in the world. A few misplaced words shouldn't change that. We should all do much for the less privledged! :cheer:

tovo

Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:48 am

Hey Bear. That's an interesting perspective and good on you for sharing. Like I said, I know there are varying views on Cat's past statements. I just love his music and don't see him as an inherently evil person. I accept there are other opinions but I think it's such a shame that in the controversy surrounding his religious conversion, recognition of his impact on music gets a little lost.

pbraun

Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:59 am

I would certainly go to see hime. I have all his albums even the new ones, It is hard to beat a Cat Stevens song
Pete

willem

Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:04 am

I don' know what Yusuf Stevens said years ago,,i do know what he sang,,i love it a. thanks for the teaser Tony..

dennisg

Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:05 am

BigBear wrote:
Tony- sounds like a great concert! I think Yusef got a bad rap. He went from spoiled rich English kid, to international superstar, to embracing Islam and rejecting his previous stardom, to outspoken advocate for Islam, to contrite ans still very talented artist.
Rick, I think you skipped one pretty significant milestone in his life -- the one where he supported a fatwah to assassinate the writer Salmon Rushdie for criticizing Islam. That's when Yusef lost millions of fans.

I think the guy is a brilliant artist with an incredible catalog of music. But he learned the hard way that sometimes it's just better to say "No comment."

Tony, I'll bet this was a great concert, and I wish I was there with you passing around a doobie and singing our brains out.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:04 pm

Thanks for that little clip Tony.... that's something I'd like to do too, see him live. Great artist and great songs superbly delivered. I think he has always been passionate to verge of being fanatical in most of the things he has done in his life. He's clearly not comfortable with his initial answer to the question on the Rushdie Fatwa and has since sad he never called for Rushdie's death. But he did quote the position of Islamic law on passing death sentence for blasphemy. At the same time he accepted that English law was the law of the land and should apply. In everything he has done, he has been a man of peace and his music speaks for itself. He deserves to be judge by that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic