So What Have You Learned From Neil So Far?

BigBear

Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:17 pm

I think watching Neil sometimes can be pretty discouraging. I often think after realizing that Neil is playing the guitar I should take up the Spoons or maybe a Kazoo. Or what's the hideoous thing the South Africans play throughout every soccer match? lol! :laugh:

But maybe Neil teaches us what's possible. He has dedicated his life to music and it shows. I know I no longer have enough years left to achieve anything close to that. But that doesn't mean I can't achieve a much higher level of ability than where I started.

It's too bad we don't do a video when we join this site and then another after a year of learning and practicing. I'll bet we would all be shocked by how much we have improved.

I look at Michele, Suzi, Tony, Dan and many others whose skills have just skyrocketed in a very short period of time. I think that's what Neil does for us by setting the bar very, very high and then daring us to reach for it!

I never in a million years would have thought of taking on a song like Windy and Warm or Bouree or some of the other 7-8 level songs that I've tried. Still can't play them well, but I can play them. And that's huge!

This stuff is the real testiment, or testimonial to what Neil and TARGET have done for us. I'd be interested in Neil's vision of what he hopes we learn from him. :cheer:

haoli25

Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:11 pm

What Have You Learned From Neil So Far?

1) The number of pattern and color combinations for Aloha Shirts truly is endless.

2) Shoes really are optional.

What I have learned in the last year from Neil is that focusing on some 'little things' can make a BIG difference in the guitar player you want to become. With a little attention to detail, old bad habits can be corrected. I wish there had been a TARGET program when I started playing.

Although it may sound a bit odd, thanks to Neil I have a new found appreciation for barre chords. Years ago, like the rest of us I learned to play them. I hated them and I cussed them often, but I did learn to play them. I just never liked them. Now, whenever possible I actually prefer to play barre chords. I find that they give me greater control over the sound I am trying to create. I might never have discovered this if it wasn't for watching Neil.

Bill

Chasplaya

Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:40 am

1.Taylors aren't everything when you can get Claxtons and Santa Cruz guitars

2.Hawaian shirts can be tasteful (bit of a suck up there)

3.I have learned to listen to a vast spectrum of music, never before considered.

4.I have learned that to stuff up is normal, but to play through them is key

5.Way more than three things really lots of regular snippets of info making me realise I still have loads to learn, keep it coming maestro

tovo

Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:43 am

Chasplaya wrote:

5 keep it coming maestro

BIT of a suck up?? I can hear the hoover sounds from all the way across the ditch! :)

Chasplaya

Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:51 am

tovo wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:

5 keep it coming maestro

BIT of a suck up?? I can hear the hoover sounds from all the way across the ditch! :)
As long as its not this guys mates: J. Edgar Hoover (1895-1972), longest-reigning head of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (48 years)

PS in NZ its not Hoover it Lux, in UK it was Hoover but here nup Luxing! OUr Norhter friends will now be totally lost lol

willem

Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:21 am

michelew wrote:
There are really way more than three, but here are some:

1) If you break the song down into small enough pieces and then work on those until you have each one down, you can then put them together and play just about any song you want to (especially if Neil has demystified it first). It's just a matter of time, practice and patience. Here Comes the Sun really illustrated this for me.

2) in fingerpicking especially, it's important to get the chord down in the order of the notes that you need. This has been a really important technique for me and I use it all the time. When I get stuck this rule can often make things easier.

3) the way to tackle songs that you also want to sing, the steps to get there and why it's difficult to do.

4) heaps of techniques (including how to hold a pick - I never I'd have to relearn that one)

5) learn songs all the way through and then memorise them.

6) that you shouldn't try to do your best ever performance when playing for people, just try for OK.

7) relax your hands, especially your finger picking hand as much as you can.

8) the importance of good hand position and practicing in the same chair/position - consistency.

9) learn some songs from the Target list and it will open up a world of other songs - chords, techniques (mind you I'm so busy trying to learn just some target songs that I haven't really had time to explore the world of songs outside of Target.

10) lots of theory and practical guitar 'geometry', but I've got lots more to learn.

OK I'm an overachiever sometimes, but 3 was just too small a number. Even these ten are just the tip of the iceberg.
Oke,, i wanted that to write also,,and want to put a 11 with it,,,very important to have a lot of FUN!!! THANKS Michele to write it down for me..lol

Lavallee

Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:31 am

I have learn to pay attention to details, the little things that makes a song sounding great. The reason why a note or a series of notes sound better is because of all the reasons you guys mentioned before me, because it involves one technique or another. I have learn not to accept muted notes, because when they show up, it means that the hands position is not optimal.

Marc

mark

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:24 am

I agree with all the things said so far.

I would like to add just one extra thing which I don't think anyone has mentioned and that's the importance of alternating the fingers when playing notes on the same string

Lavallee

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:34 am

mark wrote:
I agree with all the things said so far.

I would like to add just one extra thing which I don't think anyone has mentioned and that's the importance of alternating the fingers when playing notes on the same string
I agree with you Mark, this has open many doors since I started doing this.

Great point

Marc

jim56

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:47 am

Primarily:

Keep the timing goin’
Put the barre on first
Put your fingers down in order
Practice with a metronome

And lot more than my FORMER instructor taught!!!! lol

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic