I tried it, and I didn't hate it! Songs you never thought you'd tackle.

AcousticAl

Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:31 pm

Taylor Swift's Love Story. My ears didn't bleed and I think I'm still a dude.

I stumbled on Neil's lesson on it tonight. I was sitting with my daughter and watched the whole lesson part by part and picked it up pretty quickly. The best part was having her sing along with me and Neil.

It got me thinking-- I'm sure other TG-ers have tried songs on here that they never would have gone near otherwise. What songs are they? Are they part of your repertoire now?

C'mon BigBear. Have you tried Cheryl Crow yet??

haoli25

Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:38 pm

Welcome back from the "DARK SIDE", Al. I'll bet your daughter enjoyed that. I did learn a couple of The Wiggles songs for my niece and nephew a few years ago. I still have 'guitar nightmares' about that. :laugh:

Bill

6stringbostic

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:25 am

... was thinkin of doin "strong enough"...

BigBear

Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:47 am

Hey Al! I actually like Sheryl Crow's song but I haven't played it yet. The only song that I've played that I didn't expect to ever play was Circle Game by Joni. But I was married to a die hard Joni fan so I heard this song a lot.

But if I have to turn in my "man card" I'll pass! lol! Taylor Swift is a major young talent but all I want from her is her walnut Taylor guitar! :cheer:

AcousticAl

Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:35 am

haoli25 wrote:
Welcome back from the "DARK SIDE", Al. I'll bet your daughter enjoyed that. I did learn a couple of The Wiggles songs for my niece and nephew a few years ago. I still have 'guitar nightmares' about that. :laugh:

Bill
C'mon Bill. I need song titles!
Going back in my 'Wiggles' memory banks..
'Big Red Car'?
'Fruit salad'?

AcousticAl

Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:40 am

BigBear wrote:
Hey Al! I actually like Sheryl Crow's song but I haven't played it yet. The only song that I've played that I didn't expect to ever play was Circle Game by Joni. But I was married to a die hard Joni fan so I heard this song a lot.

But if I have to turn in my "man card" I'll pass! lol! Taylor Swift is a major young talent but all I want from her is her walnut Taylor guitar! :cheer:

Too funny Rick. I remember a post way back when about you and the song 'Strong Enough'.

I'm realizing that you never know what song is going to float your (or someone else's) boat. So I'm trying to keep an open mind when selecting new songs to take on.

AcousticAl

Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:41 am

6stringbostic wrote:
... was thinkin of doin "strong enough"...
Looking forward to an upload on that, 6string.

haoli25

Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:00 am

AcousticAl wrote:

C'mon Bill. I need song titles!
Going back in my 'Wiggles' memory banks..
'Big Red Car'?
'Fruit salad'?

"Hot Potatoes" and "Fruit Salad", Al. I had to de-frag my brain for months to get rid of those. I guess it could have been worse, at least I didn't have to learn any Barney songs.
:)

Bill

suziko

Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:26 am

Not to de-rail the thread, but Bill, why did you have to mention "Fruit Salad?" I think that song is permanently burned into my brain. I haven't heard it in a good 4-5 years, but I think I'll never forget it.

"Yummy, yummy, yummy, yummy fruit sal-aaaaaaaad!!!!"

I'll be singing it all day now.

Back to the thread:

When I first started playing, I don't think I would have guessed that I'd be playing a fingerpicking solo piece by the Doobie Brothers, because I assumed all I'd want to play were songs that people could sing along to. Campfire songs. But the more I play, the more I enjoy these solo fingerpicking pieces.

And one of these days, I do plan to tackle Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours."

AcousticAl

Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:32 am

suziko wrote:
Not to de-rail the thread, but Bill, why did you have to mention "Fruit Salad?" I think that song is permanently burned into my brain. I haven't heard it in a good 4-5 years, but I think I'll never forget it.

"Yummy, yummy, yummy, yummy fruit sal-aaaaaaaad!!!!"

I'll be singing it all day now.

Back to the thread:

When I first started playing, I don't think I would have guessed that I'd be playing a fingerpicking solo piece by the Doobie Brothers, because I assumed all I'd want to play were songs that people could sing along to. Campfire songs. But the more I play, the more I enjoy these solo fingerpicking pieces.

And one of these days, I do plan to tackle Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours."

At least he didn't mention 'Dorothy the Dinosaur'!! Rump-bomp-a-chomp!
Maybe we should start a TG Group for parents that have been permanently scarred by The Wiggles??

Suzie- which Doobie Bros song is that?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic