taylor gc8 - any opinions?

6stringbostic

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:48 am

hey i was in gc the other day trying on a bunch of taylors. fun! 8-)

i was getting a little more feedback from myself on what models i like/don't like.

i usually tend towards the 814/914...

however, i picked up a little model that i normally wouldn't pick up - a gc8.

much to my surprise - i loved it!

it felt so great - great volume, sound, playability, etc.

i was really surprised!

have you checked this one out? any opinions on it - positive negative or otherwise?

thanks!

tovo

Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:13 am

For mine 6 you have your answer. If you played it and loved it that's the one. For me, the GC feels a bit small, but it's not for me it's for you. The GC8 has rosewood back and sides? Gold tuners etc. Can't go wrong in my opinion. If it felt right to you, then it's right.

BigBear

Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:41 am

It's funny you should ask. I played one of these for the first time yesterday. I was blown away by the big, full sound from this little guitar. I was very impressed.

That being said, this guitar is too small for me and feels less substantial than it's bigger brethren. I am eyeing an 814 (Bob Taylors original series) and a 914, both of which sound slightly better than the GS8 to my ear but only by the smallest of margins.

Since the price of this guitar is almost as much as an 814 it would be a tough decision. But I still like the GA size better than the GS size. But if this guitar sounds right and feels right what's the question?

It's a Taylor for Pete's sake so you know it's a great guitar! Buy the one you like the most!

Good luck and happy hunting! :cheer:

6stringbostic

Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:48 am

thx for the input tony. i wanna listen to some koa models too. yes, gc8 comes w either spruce or cedar top and rosewood back/sides.

was interesting - i liked the small feel - sounded big for it's size to me.

i think part of it is that tg has effectively converted me from strummer to fingerpicker, and this model i think is more appropriate for fingers...

i'm not really fond of the classical-style head, nor the open tuners - seems like a potential reliability issue? (i'm an engineer in my day job)

i would keep my current beautiful guild dc1 dread - i still love it - spruce/mahogany - http://www.elderly.com/items/20U-8460.htm

god i would love to be able to afford an entire collection of acoustic guitars like some of the folks on this site do... 8-)

...back to the gc8... another thing - some of the other models had some older strings, the gc8 had newer ones - which probably contributed to my liking it in the moment...

anywho - can't drop $2k+ on one right now anyway...

somebody on ebay selling "new" gc8's for $1699 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %26otn%3D1) but i'm a bit skeptical since all the "major" sites have em for like $2249...

still taylor dreamin at this point...

wanna do the factory tour and road show in the fall... and figure out a way to raise more capital...

take care

6stringbostic

Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:49 am

i hear you bear. thanks for the input! if i had the $$ i'd have an 814 AND a gc8! 8-)

michelew

Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:51 am

I agree with Tony, ( shock horror).

If/when I'm ready to buy another guitar and have a reasonable budget, I'll definitely be looking at the GC8 (and the GA8). I've read great things about it. Good luck with the fund raising.

AndyT

Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:31 am

Tony has it. If you like it that's what is important. Not what anyone else thinks.

suziko

Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:43 am

I have a GC3 and as I mentioned in another thread, I prefer the GC body to the GA body, but I think it's really a matter of personal preference. If you like the feel of the GC body, than it's right for you. I am a small person, but I know of two guys on the site who are certainly NOT small, who have recently been converted to smaller-bodied guitars. As the saying goes, size isn't everything.

dennisg

Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:57 am

I've played a few GC8's, and I think it's a terrific guitar. The pluses: 1) small size may suit you better; 2) light-gauge strings easy to play; 3) short scale even easier to play; 4) excellent guitar for fingerpicking. The minuses: 1) if you're comfortable playing your dreadnought, the GC8 may ultimately feel too small for you; 2) smaller soundbox than GA size results in less sound projected; 3) no more suited for fingerpicking than a GA.

I have nothing but the highest praise for the GC8, and if I wanted a slightly smaller guitar, that (or the 812) would be the one I'd get.

Let us know what you decide on.

6stringbostic

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:02 pm

thanks for all the great input. i guess i'm fortunate i dont have lots of money to spend for now - it forces me to take my time and choose right.

if i had my preference i woulda bought about 10 new guitars that i've seen over the lat 6 months or so - including the gc8 and 814, among many others...

too many beautiful guitars, not enough time or money on the planet to enjoy 'em all i hat to say...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic