>> New Poll - What is your favourite "volume" maker of acoustic guitars ??..Vote here..

Hydroman52

Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:02 am

I really don’t remember voting on this pole, but it shows me there and I can view the results. Hope I voted correctly . . . . . . . My choice of all listed is Martin. I have played all brands that are listed, but, in all fairness, I haven’t played the top models of each of the brands. I think the best Taylor that I played was an 814ce. I’ve never been too interested in new guitars and prefer something that already has a few scratches and a much lower price. So it’s more the used rack for me. That being said, the stable currently holds three Martins. They are a D-41, an M-38 (a.k.a. 0000-38), and a 000-28EC. All were bought used. The 000-28EC had a neck reset this summer, and all have been set up by a luthier. The M-38 is staying tuned to Open G for some Keith Richards/Rolling Stones practice, and the others are standard tuning. There also are two Gallaghers (a Doc Watson Signature cut-away and a GA-70 . . . . . the GA-70 is similar to the M-38 in size, shape, and woods, but is a little better in my opinion) which were made in a little shop in Wartrace, TN. There are a couple of Ovations and an old, banged up Charles Hoffman dreadnaught which is my favorite. If I get another guitar, it might be another Hoffman or equivalent if one pops up on the market at an irresistible price. There is cash buried in a jar in the back yard waiting for such an opportunity.

msdnman

Wed May 29, 2013 7:46 pm

I voted Taylor, I have played quite a few and none, to me at least, have the play-ability of a Taylor. I own a Taylor 814ce.

tombo1230

Wed May 29, 2013 8:08 pm

I also voted Taylor. I own an 814CE Tobacco sunburst like the one on my avatar.
I like the sound and the roomy neck. :)

The avatar picture doesn't reflect the stunning look of this beautiful instrument.

Tom N.

poncie

Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:35 pm

I own a Martin , a Taylor, and a Seagull. In the past I have owned a Gibson, a different Seagull, and two other Martins. A Martin stands out from all other Guitars, it has a distinctive proprietary sound like a Harley Davidson. I like playing different guitars, but if I can only have one it has to be a Martin.

wrsomers

Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:17 am

I voted Martin because my 1977 D28 has been my main guitar for years. I just bought a 2015 Taylor 914ce which is every bit as good as my Martin and a lot prettier with all the bling. It is also electric with the outstanding ES2 pickup. I never liked Taylors because they can be too bright. The new ones are not as bright and have a very balanced sound across all strings and ranges. I am also impressed with the construction of Taylor's necks which make a neck reset simple and inexpensive. To reset a Martin neck the cost is $300 and up.

Bill

drfuji

Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:52 pm

I gig with my Martin... my Seagull goes with me most of the time... I have an Eastman OM model that is great for fingerpicking.... but the Martin still consistently has the best sound...Oh, I do have an inexpensive Epiphone I keep at work for break time..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic