What's your favorite type of string? Poll inside

MarkM

Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:06 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
After reviewing the poll results to date.....
What main benefits are you getting when you purchase phosphor bronze strings?

Is it a string life thing, playability or sound quality or mixture of all?

For me the phosphor bronze strings are a bit warmer in tone as compared with the the standard 80/20 bronze strings which are a bit too bright sounding for what I want to hear at the moment.

MarkM

MarkM

Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:10 am

BigBear wrote:
MarkM wrote:
I put other as coated Phosphor Bronze was not a choice.

MarkM

Mark- I think all "coated" strings are Phosphor Bronze. I looked at Guitar Center's website and I couldn't find any listing for any coated strings other that Phosphor Bronze. If there are coated strings other than PB I should add a category.

I'll edit the poll to make this more clear! Thanks! :cheer:

Big Bear I'm no expert that is for sure but I know that Elixir produces coated 80/20 bronze and phosphor bronze strings. I think others do as well but off the top of my head I don't know who.

MarkM

toejam31

Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:53 pm

I like pure nickel strings on my acoustics, and the brand I like the most are John Pearse Pure Nickel, in medium gauge.

I think these strings produce the cleanest, woodiest, most natural sound possible, with minimal noise and extraneous coloration of the tone.

It takes a while to get used to them, compared to other alloys, and they generally do not sound good until they've had a chance to settle, which usually takes a couple of hours. After that, the sound of the guitar will begin to bloom ... yielding the unique, individualistic, organic sound of the guitar.

They have a great tactile feel ... they are easy to fret, hammer-on, and bend. They have tremendous punch, produce a fantastic warmth, with a strong, clear bass, and excellent string-to-string balance.

But the player must have an open mind to experience these strings; they do not sound anything like phosphor-bronze or 80/20 alloys, and must be played after the strings have settled in order to evaluate them properly. They have an unusually long lifespan, and are resistant to corrosion ... a nice thing to know, if you have the kind of sweat that can kill strings in a short period of time.

And so, if you've been looking for a new set of strings, and just haven't found the ones with the "right" kind of sound, but seem to feel that it has been eluding you amongst the standard, most popular brands of acoustic strings, then I highly recommend that you give the JP Pure Nickels a whirl ... you might be very surprised at what you've been missing. In any case, once you've put them through their paces, it's for certain that you'll never again look at a set of regular acoustic strings the same way. After the nickel, everything else will sound dull, lack sparkle and warmth, and just not have the sweet snap to the note separation that nickel can provide.

... JT

BigBear

Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:45 am

JT- Great feedback! Thanks for sharing! Frankly, I've never even considered using all-nickel strings on my acoustics. Might be worth giving them a shot just to see what they can do!

BTW- welcome to the forum!

Cheers! :cheer:

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:21 am

Welcome Toejam... that's an interesting first post... worth looking into. Thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic