Starter guitar purchase advice?

AcousticAl

Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:14 pm

Hey TG,

My nephew (11yrs old) is interested in learning guitar and my bother wants to know what kind of guitar he should get for him. Now I don't want to send him to Walmart to get some cheapo guitar that sounds terrible.. He'll never want to play then. On the other hand, they don't want to spend a ton of money in case he doesn't stick with it. Probably no more than $100 to $150. So..

I was thinking some kind of 3/4 sized starter guitar. I like Yamahas and re-started my playing on an F-310, but that's a full sized dreadnought and probably too big for him. Anyone played the Yamaha FG Jr?

I'm going to take him to a guitar store-- just want to know where to start.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

TGMatt

Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:42 pm

Just a though Al..but the local craigs list and Ebay for used guitars is my bet..maybe pick up a baby Taylor...or something a touch smaller than a small dreadnought..another brand I am a huge fan of now for a discountish price is Alvarez..Not a fan of the Yamaha cheapies as the action seems way high..but I am a no expert like the rest here..but used is definately a great option for value..especially in these times...

One other thought..Post a wanted to buy ad here..you never know mate and shipping is cheap ..can happen at local level

Cheers

Matt

tovo

Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:49 pm

C'mon Al...if you want to be his favourite Uncle then you will go out and buy him an 814. He'll grow into it. Who says you can't buy love!

I think a baby Taylor would be a damn good option.

BigBear

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Al- I bought my kids a 3/4 sized Fender for around $100. It wasn't much of a guitar but I think at an early age it's more important to see if the interest is really there.

My son went on to develop a casual interest in guitar despite being the artist in the family (he has a B.F.A. in Illustration). I later bought him a cedar topped Seagull.

My daughter had interest for around ten minutes or until she discovered boys, which ever came first.

My point is, you want to spend just enough to make a guitar playable with the idea that if it really catches on (which is what you want anyway) you'll be buying an upgrade soon.

I would be most inclinded to buy a decent used guitar. They are cheap and plentiful in the US due to the economy. Not sure about where you live up north!

Good luck and happy hunting! :cheer:

suziko

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:21 pm

I would hesitate to get him a Baby Taylor. I think it'll be too small for him and he might not feel "cool" enough playing it. I think as a child guitar, the baby Taylor is more suited to a younger child- I'm thinking around 8 or 9. A Big baby could be fine, but maybe out of your price range. My guitar store has a selection of nice used guitars in that price range, some Takamines, some Yamahas, some Alvarezes. My first guitar was an Alvarez that we bought new for around $150. IT wasn't the greatest, but it also wasn't terrible. It wouldn't be a bad place to start.

ffsooo3

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:55 pm

Al, Would you consider loaning one of your's to your nephew to see if he really has an interest? Maybe set a term limit on the loan - say 3 months. If the interest is still there then your brother would know buying a guitar would be money well spent. Just a thought......like my tag line says "rethink, reduce, reuse, repurpose"

AcousticAl

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:22 pm

Thanks for all the responses so far. All good advice.

Used might be the way to go. But I'll take him to a guitar store to let him try a few out first.

Maybe an Alvarez. Don't think a Taylor is in the cards for the price point.
I love my Fender- but it cost close to $500. I think the cheaper ones aren't as good. Will try a few out with him.

In the meantime, if a specific starter model comes up that you've had luck with, feel free to let me know.

And Daryl, as much as I like my nephew.. NO. I won't be loaning my guitar to him for a few months. It's my second child after all. ;)

sws626

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:29 pm

Hi Al,

When I was looking around at travel guitars, I played some smallish Takamines that sounded very nice and probably were

Music Junkie

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:33 pm

BigBear wrote:
Al- I bought my kids a 3/4 sized Fender for around $100. It wasn't much of a guitar but I think at an early age it's more important to see if the interest is really there.
I agree with Bear on his statement. I bought my oldest son a 3/4 size Fender and my youngest a 1/2 size Dean. Both are cheaper guitars, but the tuners seem to be holding up and they sound fairly decent. I would feel confident in getting a year or two out of either of them til you can tell if your nephew stays interested.

J

Hydroman52

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:06 pm

I first learned on a cheap classical guitar. It had a wide neck for my clumsy fingers and the nylon strings were easy to fret. The body was smaller and I liked the sound. Best of all, my (then) girlfriend loaned it to me, so it was no cost to me. Later, we broke up and the guitar went back to her (or was it, the guitar went back to her and then we broke up?). Then I got a steel string guitar and playing that really made my fingers hurt. If I hadn't already learned a bunch of songs on the classical that I could play on the steel string without too much adaptation, I may have been discouraged and quit. I would much rather play a cheap classical than a cheap steel string.

If I were you, I would make sure that I put a classical guitar in his hands, too. In fact, Uncle Al should pluck out a song or two on it just to show him how it works and that it's okay to play a classical guitar.

Have fun.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic