WHY DON'T YOU HAVE A CUT AWAY GUITAR??

BigBear

Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:29 am

Willem- I have guitars in several shapes; Larrivee's "L" shape, jumbo, grand auditorium and I've also had many dreadnaughts. Dennis is right on about the differences but I don't think I will ever buy another guitar that isn't a cutaway.

The advantage of the extra access, especially with big old bear paws, is just too great. Plus I like the sound between the 12th and 15th frets.

The Taylor Grand Auditorium (X14) shape is just about perfect for me. :cheer:

fortdick

Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:40 pm

I play a Martin D35 with the three piece back. The bass notes really project, which I need for the flatpick style I play. A cutaway is kinda useless if I want the bass dominant.

haoli25

Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:49 pm

I also have a D-35 and I love it. I also have Taylor Grand Auditorium and I love it too. So my advice is GET BOTH! :)

Bill

smips65

Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:24 pm

:dry:

I've owned 2 cutaways, and they just never delivered as much as a full, to my ear anyways.

If I need access to UPPER FRETS, then I just drag out the electrics.

Just me thinks, but if your playing up that high, then whatever it is that your playing would be better on an electric in the first place.

I too own a D-35 (copy, that is) and a Guild Gad-50, the cutaway version of that Guild fell completely on it's face in comparison. I have played Taylors and Martins with cutaways, and to be fair, they are very nice, play them side by side with a full body, and still they come up a bit short, again, just my opinion.

Why?

The tone and sound that I look for in any acoustic is generally down by the nut, and if you play both side by side, there is a difference, slight, I'll grant you, but there.
It comes down to what your looking for in all-around performance, and access play-wise.

I noticed that Dennis mentioned he had someone play them, with his back turned, I would suggest going back, and playing them yourself, same chords, same picking tempo, and so on. I suspect you will notice a difference. How they sound projected at you, is not the same as how they sound while playing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic