WHY DON'T YOU HAVE A CUT AWAY GUITAR??

willem

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:32 pm

Hello,, why don't you have a cut away guitar,,why did you chose a guitar without a cut away,, i know why i did,,i have at one but came back to one without,,not gonna answer now,,i do that on a later time...just first want to know why you did'nt..

dekotaj

Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:05 pm

All of mine or cut aways.That way I can get to the lower stuff a little easyer.

Kevin

mcfingers

Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:56 pm

They didn't make cutaways back in ancient times when I bought my first guitar. :laugh:

The Dreadnot shape can produce a little more volume and fuller tone in general but with today's technology and exotic woods the Cutaways are not far behind. IMO.

dennisg

Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:02 pm

I can think of several reasons why someone might not want a cutaway:

1. She doesn't do a lot traveling up the neck of the guitar, and might not feel a cutaway is worth the extra $300-plus to get it.

2. She doesn't like the looks of a cutaway.

3. Some guitar manufacturers (Taylor comes to mind) almost always include electronics on guitars with cutaways. She may not need or want electronics. Yes, you can get a build-to-order guitar with a cutaway but without electronics, but you'll pay extra.

4. She may not be able to afford the extra $1000 for both a cutaway and electronics.

Willem, I'm not sure if this question is addressed only to people who chose a guitar without a cutaway. I'm not in that category, since my guitar has one. I like it. On those rare occasions when I want to travel up the neck, I can. I also like the look of it. But if it weren't for TG, I'd probably have no need to record, so I would have bought a guitar without electronics and without a cutaway.

Chasplaya

Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:03 pm

I have both, cutaways and non cutaway. One dread cutaway and one not, but different brands so not easy to compare. I like the cutaway for the obvious reach to the lower frets. My good classical is also a cutaway and I have a couple of El cheapo classical's without, so again can't compare. However, I have played top end of both in stores and to my ear anyway haven't noticed a discernible difference. I guess you really need to play one of each of the exact same brand which are the same model range to really be able to tell. I believe then you would notice the difference, I would say the simple fact of those without means a larger uninterrupted sound box therefore different sound... better well that's a matter for personal taste I think.

dennisg

Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:06 pm

mcfingers wrote:
The Dreadnot shape can produce a little more volume and fuller tone in general but with today's technology and exotic woods the Cutaways are not far behind. IMO.
I've tested this out in guitar shops by turning my back and having someone play cutaway and non-cutaway versions of the same guitars -- and I could never identify which was which.

mcfingers

Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:17 pm

dennisg wrote:
mcfingers wrote:
I've tested this out in guitar shops by turning my back and having someone play cutaway and non-cutaway versions of the same guitars -- and I could never identify which was which.
Dennis, I pretty much agree with you. I have a Taylor 110 dread, non-cutaway, and my 414 which is a cutaway. Maybe it's in my head but I can hear a slight difference. But that may be because I am comparing a $600 guitar to a $2000 guitar. They both have qualities I like which is why they spend most of their time on guitar stands next to each other. As I said in my original reply, technology and exotic woods make the differences almost imperceptible.

Cheers

dennisg

Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:34 pm

Dennis, I pretty much agree with you. I have a Taylor 110 dread, non-cutaway, and my 414 which is a cutaway. Maybe it's in my head but I can hear a slight difference. But that may be because I am comparing a $600 guitar to a $2000 guitar. They both have qualities I like which is why they spend most of their time on guitar stands next to each other. As I said in my original reply, technology and exotic woods make the differences almost imperceptible.

Cheers
I think in order to have any kind of meaningful comparison, you'd need to compare your 414 to a GA4. Only then would you get the same body shape and the same woods but one would have a cutaway and one wouldn't. But comparing a dread with laminated woods to a grand auditorium with ovangkol wood is apples to oranges.

Anyway, sorry, Willem, if this thread is drifting off topic.

songman52

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:39 pm

My main guitar doesn't have a cutaway because that's how it was when I bought it in 1981. I had never really played in the upper part of the neck and hadn't needed the cutaway. As I improve (slightly) I will often pick up a different guitar I have that does have a cutaway, to work on fingerings up the neck.

Jerry

willem

Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:33 am

Hello,,I realy like that the anwser's are mixed up in the way of having!! a cutaway and the main thing is you can get easer at the lower frets,,i had one but change it for a non-cutaway and only for the sound(a fuller sound),,it were guitars from the same brands but don't know about the woods,,so for me great to know and maybe surch and try that out..i like cutaway's but will i ever need the 15-16-17 frets,, i think yes,,the first song i was in trouble with was ''brown eyed girl,,could'nt manege Neil's intro,,thanks for your anwser yet,,keep them coming,,if you like..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic