Question about Taylor guitars

dieguy

Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:22 am

OK I have been looking at guitars lately as I have recently sold off my Guild (I couldn't get used to the neck). So I have the start of my funding for my next guitar. I was looking at some Taylors. Can anyone tell me the difference between an X14 model and a GAX? I am using the X to represent the series numbers. I know the X14 is a Grand Auditorium as is the GAX. I know an X14ce would be a Grand Auditorium with a cutaway. I also know I have seen X14 non cutaways (at least that's how they were represented online). So what would be the difference between an X14 without a cutaway and a GAX? I know there are a ton of Taylor fans out there so I know someone out there can answer this for me. Thanks in advance.

Bill

MarkM

Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:50 am

Bill,

The DN, GA, GS, GC all designate the shape as you probably already know. There are acoustic only models. No electronics and no cut away as standard. You may add either or both if you choose but then you might as well go with the acoustic/electric line. They also have a great Build to order program (BTO). I'm sure others will chime in here soon but that is the 60K foot level of the differences. Personally I have a DN8 because I didn't want the electronics or cutaway for a dred. That same guitar would be an 810CE with the additions. Hope this helps.

MarkM

dieguy

Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:00 pm

I am still confused, Here is a link to a 414 taylor without electronics or a cutaway:

http://www.instrumentguide.com/acoustic ... aylor/414/

What makes this a 414 vs a GA4?

Thanks,

Bill

BigBear

Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:28 pm

Bill- I think Mark is correct that the GA series is acoutic only with no electronics. But there must be something else going on because the GA series is substantially cheaper than the regular X14 series.

For example, an 814 lists for $4,100 and the GA8 lists for $2,900 (roughly). The difference in price is way more than just electronics and the price of the cutaway.

I recently played a GA4 and it seemed to me to be thinner than my 314 but I could wrong on that. I will say that it sounded great, like all Taylors.

I also learned that the 314 is Taylor's most popular model. I absolutely love mine. I bought mine brand new off eBay for $600 for a camping guitar. But it's way too nice for that. It has become my everyday, go-to guitar. For the money, it's unbeatable!

Good luck and happy hunting!! Nothing more fun than buying a new guitar! :cheer:

dennisg

Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:43 pm

Taylor tends to make their acoustic/electrics a bit bling-ier than their acoustic-only series. I'm not sure that applies to all the lines, but it definitely does in the 800 series. With regard to my 814, the addition of the Expression System electronics, cutaway, maple binding, and special fretboard inlays account for the price difference.

Dieguy, to answer your original question: the GAX (or GCX, GSX, or DNX) denotes acoustic-only guitars. The X14 (or X10, X12, X15, X16) denotes acoustic/electrics.

In Taylor's nomenclature, from smallest to largest guitar, X12 is a Grand Concert, X14 a Grand Auditorium, X16 a Grand Symphony, X10 a dreadnought, and X15 a jumbo.

To further complicate matters, when Taylor makes a 12-string, you'll see the second number change from 1 to 5. The 12-string version of my 814 would be an 854.

dieguy

Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:39 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I am a bit thick but I still don't know what the difference between the GA4 and the 414 without cutaway or electronics, like the one in the link I attached above, would be. I have been looking all over Taylors website and I do not see a 414 without cutaway or electronics offered. Maybe they discontinued making the 414 this way since they have the GA4.

Wow Bear a 314 for $600! That was a steal! They list for over $2300. Was it new? If I could find a deal like that my Guitar hunting would be done for sure. I guess I should give Ebay a shot, I just worry about buying a guitar without playing it first but if you can get a guitar at 25% retail it just might be worth the risk.

Thanks again guys,

Bill

dennisg

Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:57 pm

Hard to say what the deal is with the guitar in your link. The only thing I can think of is that the guitar was made before Taylor changed the numbering system on their acoustic-only series.

6stringbostic

Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:17 pm

yeah i would ask the seller (1) when they bought it (2) provide picture through the soundhole of the guitar, and (3) is that an actual picture of the guitar for sale or a "stock" picture they pulled off the web. the sell themselves might be confused.

mcfingers

Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:47 pm

dennisg wrote:
Hard to say what the deal is with the guitar in your link. The only thing I can think of is that the guitar was made before Taylor changed the numbering system on their acoustic-only series.

I think I'll agree with Dennis here. I have been pouring over the 2010 Taylor price list and it does indeed seem that Taylor has re-named their Acoustic series guitars. They are based on the body shapes. GA, GS, GC, DN, 12-strings and the 810 & 910. You can download the pdf version of the list that I have and you will see for yourself. So, if the picture in the add you were looking at is indeed a 414 then I would say there is no difference.
If you really need to know I suppose you could drop an email to Taylor support and they would be able to give you an answer.
I'm with you when you say you would need to play the guitar before you would be comfortable buying it.

Good luck,

Steve

dennisg

Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:31 pm

dieguy,

I posed your question in a Taylor forum, and the answer is this: Taylor makes a separate line of "legacy" guitars that are intended to resemble older designs.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic