Poll: How many hours per week do you practice?

BigBear

Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:01 pm

Okay fellow TGer's, time to fess up!! How many hours PER WEEK do you actually pracice?

This question comes up frequently on this forum and is aimed at helping our new or less experienced members get an idea of what sort of commitment we are all making to becoming better musicians and guitarists.

1. Don't include time actually performing but do include jamming if you are learning new songs.

2. Practice includes all time spent with a guitar in your hands working on getting better. It does not include studying or reading, replacing strings or polishing your guitar for example.

3. For the purpose of this poll, this includes all practice , whether related to Totally Guitars, TARGET or neither.

4. Just playing songs counts as practice if the goal is self-improvement.

5. Don't just multiply your best day of practice times 7 unless you practice that much every day.

Thanks everyone for your help!!

suziko

Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:48 pm

I voted, though I do have some nagging doubt that, in the same way that most of us underestimate our weight when asked what it is, I might have overestimated my practice time!

BigBear

Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:55 pm

suziko wrote:
I voted, though I do have some nagging doubt that, in the same way that most of us underestimate our weight when asked what it is, I might have overestimated my practice time!

Suzi- that's one reason I thought this would be a good question because we all have to stop and think about how much we really play each day or week. We might play 2 hours one day and then miss or skip the next two days.

Thanks for responding! :cheer:

haoli25

Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:11 pm

I am so glad that you did not have a category for "Productive Practice Time". :)

BigBear

Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:12 pm

haoli25 wrote:
I am so glad that you did not have a category for "Productive Practice Time". :)

rofl!! Or "Practice Time when you actually sound good"! or "Practice Time when you actually hit two good notes in a row!!" :laugh:

haoli25

Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:17 pm

never had either of those...... :)

eagle670

Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:27 pm

Practice time has gone done considerably this summer. Too many other things going on. It has dropped to probably half as much. Not much time to learn all the new material Neil is putting out. I will have alot of catching up to do this fall.

Kevin

michelew

Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:11 pm

I've voted for the amount that I have been doing on average over the last 6 months or so. In truth, however, it has dropped significantly recently and many things are distracting me. I've been thinking about writing a thread on it. Hey there's a great idea for another possible distraction.

Thanks for the poll Rick. It reminds me that I need to find some focus and get back to practicing and learning.

Michele

tovo

Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:53 pm

If the poll had been about the number of hours a week I THINK about playing guitar...boy I would have needed a 100+ hour category.

My problem is putting the guitar down. I rarely do. I guess that's got a lot to do with still being in that stage where I am learning something almost every day. That's the thing I love about guitar, or one of them, you always have something to learn.

NKenny

Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:05 pm

I seem to spend more time watching others on Target than practicing my self. If that time was practice I would be much better. I do pick up the guitar many times a day, but at times get frustrated and put it down and have to walk away. Still love it and TG though,try to do about 4 to 7 a week

Have a great day Kenny

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic