Poll: How Often Do You Change Your Strings?

Catman

Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:17 am

I replace when needed--when they start to sound dead. I use Elixirs, so that takes quite a while...

Lavallee

Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:28 am

I find the Elixir last for about 2 months for me but I am away from home for a week, every 2-3 weeks. When I am am away the following weekend is really a guitar weekend trying to make up.

Marc

suziko

Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:37 am

I'm terrible about changing my strings. Probably once every 4 months or so.... a certain TG friend has started sending me email reminders to change them, which I do appreciate.

My new Martin has a slotted headstock which could making changing strings a challenge. Do any of you own a guitar with a slotted headstock and, if so, can you give me any tips for changing the strings?

haoli25

Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:54 am

suziko wrote:
My new Martin has a slotted headstock which could making changing strings a challenge. Do any of you own a guitar with a slotted headstock and, if so, can you give me any tips for changing the strings?

I hope this helps, Suzi. I don't like those hand-winders too much. If you have an electric screwdriver, buy one of the "Spin Doctors".

Bill

suziko

Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:55 am

Bill- that IS helpful. Thank you for finding that for me! Suzi

haoli25

Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:13 am

Suzi, this one is even better. This is the one I was looking for in the first place. lol

Bill

suziko

Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:21 am

Funny that they're both for classical guitars. Mine's not a classical. I didn't realize slotted headstocks were standard for classicals. Or are they not?

Chasplaya

Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:43 pm

A pretty major point about the last video Bill posted, if using steel wool to clean frets make sure you use masking tape and cover up the body/top of the guitar and completely cover the Sound hole especially if you have electrics. Steel wool has a tendency to slightly disintegrate and small parts of steel wool falling into the body can damage electrics. Also small pieces of steel wool residue will scratch the top of your guitar if you polish it after doing the neck. Another good blow by blow set of pics for slotted guitars can be found at Frets.com also the luthiers hands don't get in the way of the 'knots'.

The best masking tape I have found is the type used by commercial painter/decorators which has a low strength adhesive and doesn't leave behind any marks when removed. Scotch brand in NZ

AndyT

Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:51 pm

And another point is to vacuum out the guitar after cleaning and before putting the strings on. Especially if you have electronics in it. Get a small flex hose and run the brush attachment around the inside of the guitar. It will pick up any dirt, lint, steel wool or small critters that have tried to move in.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic