Blues Poll #1

sws626

Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:04 pm

I'm not sure I would have divided it up quite this way, but I've voted for acoustic and have in mind Lightnin' Hopkins (but would be just as happy listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan interpreting some of his riffs).

[video][/video]

thereshopeyet

Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:14 am

Thanks

smips65

Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:05 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
I would vote for Acoustic Blues as at the moment it's acoustic I am learning.

:)

PS

Although I like some Blues sounds I hear, I don't really know many Blues artists by name or the different styles... maybe you could explain a little about the different styles sometime?

Not that I know all that much either, but a quick example would be Hendrix/SRV/BB King on electric, as the Chicago Style, as Eric Claptons Unplugged stuff would be considered Delta Blues. Just trying to think of common names that most have heard of to give some idea as to the differences. Hope that helps a little bit.

thereshopeyet

Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:39 am

Thanks

Chasplaya

Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:00 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Hello Smips65

So how would you define the difference between the styles delta blues, chicago blues?

Are there other blues styles?
What would make them different from Delta and Chicago blues?

Cheers

TheresHopeyet
I would say Delta is more raw blues, played mostly with acoustic guitar, slide guitar, cigar box and harmonica, whereas Chicago slightly more modern and amplified and also crosses into jazz this is maybe more due to white people starting to go to the predominant black clubs. Chicago blues also has more of a Bass line. Chicago also uses more than the usual blues scale i.e. 6 notes

Texas blues is a sub genre of Chicago and tended to have more of a swing feel, more solos licks and riffs relying on heavier guitar work e.g. SRV style.

thereshopeyet

Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:54 pm

Thanks

Chasplaya

Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:49 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Hello Chas

Thanks for that chas, interesting.

After posting I googled Delta Blues and it claimed Mississippi Delta blues same thing.
So I assume the style names come from the places and the musical culture and sound from those places....Mississippi , Chicago etc....I'm not sure about this though.
I would say the place of origin of the Blues was the Mississippi as most African slaves were landed in that area, the Blues it is said originated from African tribal chants which slowly progressed to the 'holler' in the cotton fields, this is further supported by the need to repeat phrases so they were heard correctly , note in many Blues songs the first line is repeated e.g. 'I woke up this morning looked round for my shoes' to be repeated with the same words but slightly different intonation. The 'songs' then progressed to the communal slave house, which later became known as Juke joints/houses. If you research Juke as a word it has origins in places such as Africa but believe it or not also in early Scotland (have never really found a tie between Blues and Scotland though lol)

Many Bluesmen drifted north chasing work and as such Chicago Blues evolved from the early Blues clubs predominantly for this transient black workforce, the Blues evolved in my opinion to cater for the slightly different tastes of the white population. So the predominant culture of the various regions certainly influenced styles. Early British Blues was more traditional Delta but didn't get the degree of popularity hoped for, and it merged around WWII with more Jazz and swing then eventually Rock. Wasn't till much later that the early influences from the Delta returned.

As mentioned Texas Blues had a bit of a swing to it, SRV took that and it involved into more of a shuffle, good example is SRV's Cold Shot. SRV in many interviews has stated early bluesmen were his main influence as was his brother Jimmy who was in turn influenced by R&B and Soul music in his early days.

SO yes early influences and actual culture of the area/region certainly should be considered major influences on style...

But the roots are in the Delta cotton fields!

blindshine

Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:14 am

And then there is Piedmont Blues that has its origins in the east coast for which Rev. Gary Davis was famous.

Michael

smips65

Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:33 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Hello Smips65

So how would you define the difference between the styles delta blues, chicago blues?

Are there other blues styles?
What would make them different from Delta and Chicago blues?

Cheers

TheresHopeyet
As Chas so well expressed, Delta Blues has a chant-like quality to it, where as the guitar is sometimes a supporting role.

While Chicago Blues has more of a blended idea running through it, the singing, and licks and riffs played on the guitar each take on a life of their own.

I know that's a very generic explaination, but for me at least, that nails down the differences.

thereshopeyet

Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:08 am

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic