Public Apology

BigBear

Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:36 pm

Time for the Bear to eat some crow (I'd rather eat salmon!). If it's okay to pick up a guitar and play and sing naked in front of a video camera then it should be okay to stand up and admit when you are wrong. So I want to publically state that I am really sorry to anyone I may have offended while arguing my position on posting videos to the student channel. Dennis, Andy and anyone else I took to task and went overboard with my rhetoric, I am truly sorry.

I have been known at times to vigously debate issues of little importance. I have also been known to debate either side of an argument just for the sport of it. But debates, especially here at Totally Guitars, need to remain civil and open and non-threatening. And I violated that standard.

I am known as a very straight shooter. It comes from my time in the military and construction industry where brutal candor is highly prized for it's ability to get to the heart of the matter quickly and make it right. But like I recently told another member, being a straight shooter is a double-edged sword and the real skill is to not cut too deep. Here I cut too deep and said some things that were perceived as too agressive or judmental. That wasn't my intent but I can see why some may think that.

As someone who has never posted a student video I really don't have a "dog in this fight". So to argue an issue so passionately is really ridiculous. Totally Guitars is a magical place to me and I care deeply about Matt and Neil and all the other people that make it so great. And if there is an opportunity to make it better I have always fought hard to do that.

But no one should ever be insulted or feel threatened by words from anyone on this site. Tolerance for all points of view must be the standard at all times. That means that at times it's better to have no debate than a hurtful debate.

So again, please accept my heartful apology if my passion exceeded my better judgment! And thanks to all my wonderful friends here at TG for your support.

Enough said!

mcfingers

Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:53 pm

I think you did a fine job of stating your opinion and I felt you were speaking from the heart with the best of intentions, and that is never wrong and therefore doesn't require an apology. I value the different points of view coming from all of us. I will always listen carefully to a point of view before I decided to disagree. I would only ask that you promise to never post a video of you playing naked I will make the same pledge.... To the relief of all I am sure. :)

willem

Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:05 pm

Rick i was not so involved on the thread,, i look to your other nice comments and for the thread i thought ''whatever'',,,and did you not know you did target song,,well to remember it was NW!!! i think we will never see someone naked playing his song,,,lol

Sometimes we use a lot of words for something so litlle,,take A beer my friend,,cheers!!!!

AndyT

Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:54 pm

Rick,

I'm not offended. I know how it is to love to argue a point just to make a point. I really try and not do that here. But its Ok. I know where you're coming from. Now spit out that bird and post a video already! :laugh:

suziko

Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:08 pm

Rick,

I think all of us who are really active on this site have a lot of strong feelings about what is best for the site, what we most want to get out of it, how it should be run, etc. It's easy to let our emotions get away from us. There have been many times I myself have had to make a conscious effort to step back and cool my own head off, because I was ready to jump into a fight with someone about something that, in the grand scheme of things, doesn't really matter all that much.

While I think we all may have different opinions about the particulars of the site, I think we all agree on what's important: our love of learning, our excitement over music, our appreciation of the quality teaching material available here at TG, and our respect for our fellow TG members. And in the end, that's really all that matters.

kind regards, Suzi

haoli25

Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:34 pm

I'm still proud to call you a good friend, Rick. However, if you post a video of you playing the guitar naked, I'll drop you like a bad habit! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Keep arguing, Rick.

Bill

buddy

Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:51 pm

Rick, Nice and appropriate apology.

I am curious, you have mentioned a number of times that you have never posted a student video and you seem to carry that as a badge of honor. Why have you never posted one up ? Do you feel you don't need the help, or don't like the concept, or just don't want to take up space. Don't read more into this question than is intended, I am just curious.

Bud

BigBear

Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:10 pm

buddy wrote:
Rick, Nice and appropriate apology.

I am curious, you have mentioned a number of times that you have never posted a student video and you seem to carry that as a badge of honor. Why have you never posted one up ? Do you feel you don't need the help, or don't like the concept, or just don't want to take up space. Don't read more into this question than is intended, I am just curious.

Bud
Buddy- it's a fair, and good, question and I'm not sure I have a good answer. I think fundamentally I know what my limitations are as a guitarist so I've left Neil's feedback to those that maybe want it more. It's not that I'm a great player, or even a good player. I just haven't felt the need.

It's like golf; I understand the techniques and skills of the guitar far better than I execute them with old, stiff hands. And I'm not a real performer-type of personality so I try to help others with ideas, suggestions and encouragement. But truthfully, fair's fair, and I should post something just because so many others have.

I wasn't wild about posting my videos with Jerry but we had so much fun, and I want to support the concept of TG get-togethers, so I felt that was necessary. And the feedback on even those simple songs was overwhelming and encouraging.

I'll eventually post a student video. Not sure what or when, but I know I will.

Thanks for asking! In the interim I'll just enjoy yours and all the other great videos!

Cheers! :cheer:

TGMatt

Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:22 pm

I really don't want to add to much to this , having been on both sides of conversations and not being that great at expressing the combination of softness and passion or emotion simultaneously..

I will add that I subscribe to the idea of passion...be passionate...it is ok to be that way..

who knows who is right or wrong ?..is there even such a thing ??..

Just do your best, and then learn to be better..that is all we should ask of ourselves..

It is indeed difficulty admitting you are wrong or acknowledging another side..most people find it impossible to do publicly...I salute you for this Bear..

I was spending time last night coasting around for people I have admired all of my life..and stumbled across this video by Ayrton Senna.. Not a great video but some of his words resonate with me , as they did when I was a kid watching F1, they may resonate with some of you here as well..

"The values I have in my life are stronger than many other peoples who desire to influence those values and to destroy those values" Ayrton Senna da Silva

tovo

Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:29 pm

I'm disappointed that a thread I started to generate discussion of an element of the site that is important to us all got a bit heated, but nevertheless I think it would be a very bad outcome if people stopped commenting and expressing their opinions for fear of being out of step with popular opinion. Respect for everyone is the key I believe.

Rick when I had issues recently you were one of several friends who helped me through. Although you didn't understand my view you chose to support me rather than judge me harshly. I would be a lousy friend indeed if I didn't act in the same way.

Putting aside opinions on the appropriateness of an apology, the fact that you are willing to make one says a lot about you.

Like Bill, I find the prospect of you posting a video playing naked too horrific to contemplate...so don't get any ideas.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic