Anyone experienced in buying and playing harmonicas?

dekotaj

Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:04 am

Hey My Friend,

What a great ideal for a birthday.I can't give any advice on buying one.But I'm a big fan of Andrew White.He hooks up with Brendan Power now and then and this what happens.

That will make you kick you chair out and shake it around the room.Wish her a happy Birthday from me,and many more to come.Best of luck to the both of you.And REALLY LOOK FORWARD to your first post with her.

Kevin

Hydroman52

Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:44 am

I would agree with Beaker. If I were to do it again, I would get intermediate quality and buy one at a time. Maybe select a few songs that you two would be interested in playing together and then select the key from there.

I nearly fell over when I saw the current list prices on these things, but the last one I bought was probably in the nineteen hundred and eighties (last century). Buying a set now could seriously dent a bank account. If Sue decides she really likes it, then next birthday could be a premium or custom made one.

Here is some more information from people who are much smarter than me that might help you make your decision.

http://www.harmonicatunes.com/playingharmonica.shtml

Let us know how everything turns out.

Hydroman52

willem

Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:42 pm

Oke Michele,, you have realy get good advice,,Honheris a great brand,,what suzy say's of the brand SUZUKI also great(nice sound),,big river harps(big sound)love that to..the marine band,yeah,,great to add the bleus,,i must say one thing more, i bought my pocket empty on the harmonica's couse i would play bleus,,sad to say i never manege and they are all in the closet,,one more thing and it is like a guitar the sound they produce is also very personal,,so maybe you must not rush and buy one in G or C..Maby it is not difficlt to play them couse every three holes blow is the G chord (on a G harmonica),,so that fits almost on every G chord played in the song,,Playing bleus is something diffrent, when the blues is in A for example you take a harmonica 4 tones higher(i believe) and then you must bend some tones the get the tone(note)you want,,that sound sometimes dirty,,but that is bleus..goodluck on your search..

michelew

Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:27 pm

Thanks SO much everyone for all of this great advice. I'm going to check out the Hohners, Marine Band and Big River. I didn't realize that the harmonica needed to be in a different but comparable key with the music. I'm thinking of a G and. C harp at this stage.

This is going to be FUN!

Thanks again.

Michele

wiley

Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:39 pm

Chasplaya

Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:49 pm

Very good question Michele, I've been toying with the idea of buying one of these dang thangs fer a while now. A lot of good info from the team.

michelew

Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:27 am

Well I went shopping aimed with all the great advice I received from you all and I'm confident that the harmonicas will be just perfect for Sue for the medium-term.

So what did I get? Hohner Marine Band Special 20s (560/20) in the keys of C, G and A. They have plastic combs that can be fixed/replaced if needed and are diatonic. They also have their own cases. I asked about the Golden Melody series, but they didn't stock them and other locals don't seem to have them either. This actually seems to be the most popular brand in Australia.

I also have "The Complete Idiot's Guide - Playing the Harmonica". And I've ordered Jim Conway's book and 'how to' DVD and his latest CD. Apparently his course is aimed at teaching people who don't read music, which is just perfect for the moment.

Of course I was actually told "no presents". Yer right! As if.... So I'm hoping she'll be thrilled and that it will be a slippery slope into playing music and loving it.

Those of you waiting for a duet... don't hold your breath. Although, I may be able to convince her to play off camera at some point. We'll see.

So thanks again everyone. I really felt like I was making an informed choice and am very happy with my purchases.

Michele

willem

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:26 am

Hello Michele,,you made a good choice,,Hohner marine band is great.. when is Sue birthday??

Catman

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:12 am

A great gift choice, truly thoughtful.

But are you sure you want to give Sue "The Complete Idiot's Guide..."? :)

-David

michelew

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:37 pm

Willem, Monday and thanks. Plastic was good advice.

David, Good point. Hmm...I think she'll forgive me. If anything I'll get in more trouble because it isn't an e-book. She gave away all her paper books recently. Oh and she might look at me very strangely when she sees three of them.

We'll see.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic