Anyone experienced in buying and playing harmonicas?

michelew

Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:57 am

Hi everyone,

My partner's birthday is coming up in a week. In recent years I've have a dilemma, what to buy the woman who has just about everything she wants? Well everything within the normal birthday present sort of price range anyway. She is a tech-head so I'm sure there are things in that arena, but I wouldn't even dream of buying something like that by myself.

Anyway to get to the point of this post, yesterday she said that she'd really like to learn the harmonica and thinks it's really cool. It was prompted by me showing her the 'If Not For You' video with Bob Dylan and George Harrison. This could have been a birthday present hint. Any way regardless, I'd love for Sue to learn the harmonic and for us to play together (she's a big Neil Young fan). I think it's a really cool idea for a present and definitely something she wouldn't buy herself. I also considered a ukulele, but really I'd want to play it too much so it would be for me too.

So, I need advice so I don't stuff up and buy her the wrong thing and a piece of crap. I know that harmonics come in different keys and was thinking about buying one in the key of G, especially as it would be versatile for country rock, folk, roots, (etc) which Sue is really into.

So would this be a good choice - key of G? And what else do I need to know, what other attributes should I be looking for in a good harmonica? I'm going to do some surfing on the net to find out more, but I need all the help I can get.

I intend to go to the music store tomorrow during my lunch break.

How exciting.

Michele

willem

Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:28 am

Hey Michele,,maybe the best is to buy a set in a nice case,,so many songs in diffrent key's...and buy ones without wood,do plastics,,they can go broke..

ps what do you think of a mandoline??

michelew

Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:34 am

A mandolin would be SO cool, I'll keep it in mind. But, I really don't think she's persist with the sore fingers.

A set of harmonicas is a REALLY cool idea. I hadn't considered that. Thanks Willem.

No wood. Got it.

Michele

suziko

Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:10 am

HI Michele! First of all, I'd stick with a good brand: Hohner or Suzuki are two that come to mind off the top of my head. My own harmonica is a Hohner Golden Melody. The only problem with getting a set is that I found that the sets available were not the best quality harps. You might be able to find a set of good quality ones, but you might be better off just getting Sue one to begin with, and then if she enjoys playing, she can add to her collection later on (plus she could try other brands). Hohner's Marine Band is a popular harp, but it has a wooden comb (it's a vintage style harp) and from what I read, wooden combs don't last as long. I'd agree with Willem- stick with a plastic comb.

Lastly, get her a book to go with it. I used "Harmonica Playing For Dummies" when I was learning. Just something so that she can actually learn to play.

How fun! I hope it works out and, above all, I hope I'll see a video of you two playing together in the near future!

michelew

Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:39 am

Thanks Suzi. I'm planning on also buying a 'learn how to' course of CDs by Jim Conway from The Captain Matchbox Whoopee Band. He's a harmonica legend apparently. I just need to track it down.

jayswett

Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:09 am

Michele,
I've been kicking around the idea of learning to play the harmonica. Would you mind letting me know what you decided to do? What was helpful, etc? The Harmonica for Dummies seems right up my alley.

By the way, my wife and I saw Brandi Carlile two nights ago. She puts on an incredible show. I hope she makes it to Austalia at some point.

michelew

Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:19 am

No problem Jay.

Actually, Brandi was here when the Indigo Girls last toured. Unfortunately, I didn't really know how good she was. Now I do.

Hydroman52

Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:22 am

Hi Michele,

In my younger days (the nineteen hundred and seventies), I had a few harmonicas in different keys and would play them. Improvising blues is quite easy. I didn’t know anything about music theory, nor did I know anything about matching the key of the harmonica to the key of the song. I’d just work it out and used a different one until it sounded good. Some had plastic reeds (comb?) and would stick once in a while, but a few smacks against the palm of the hand would usually clear this up. My favorites were Hohner Marine Band. Since Sue is a Neil Young fan, here is a video where he’s fumbling with his harmonica and makes a few comments:

Here is a WEB site with basic information on selecting one:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5772_choose-harmonica.html

If you scroll down on that page, you will find this statement in one of the comments:

“Classical or Jazz players will generally favor the chromatics because all the notes (e.g. every key on the piano) are readily available. But the harmonica is more frequently found in the blues/country/rock/folk genres. In these styles, the diatonic has gained preference because of the soulful tones one can produce. Many "blue" notes are available by bending, which generates the deep wailing sounds that make the diatonic so popular. Plus, let's not forget that one diatonic can be played in three keys fairly simply, and all 12 with some serious skill. The chromatic can also be used well with blues; however, for you beginners, buy a C diatonic, and start from there.”

My father had a chromatic harmonica and let me use it when he found out I was beginning to play. Although it was probably more versatile, it was much larger than my Hohners and quite a bit more difficult for me to play.

Here is another great tool to help select what key of harmonica you should use depending on the key of the song:

Harmonica Key Selection Tool

Thanks for the thread. It made me do a little research and learn more about what I was actually doing by trial and error when I was a kid.

Hydroman52

beaker

Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:21 am

Michelle,
I think the recommendation for an instructional book is a great one. I think your idea of getting her a G is a great idea, because then you two can jam on Heart of gold. My harmonica's are a mix of Hohner Marine Band (I was told it is more of a folk harmonica) and Hohner Big River models. I actually like the Big River the best. I would also advise you against buying a really cheap one, because I also have a cheap one and at first it sounded fine, but after playing the Hohner's I find that the cheapo sounds flat and lifeless. Buying a set is a great idea, but I don't think you should compromise on quality just to get a set, better to buy one at a time if she gets into it. Have fun shopping. Beaker.

jim56

Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:25 am

Hey Michele,

You are getting a lot of replies but wanted to add one other link.

On YouTube search for 12gagedan, he has a few videos on how to play and what to select for a harp. I purchased a G Big River Harp by Hohner. Have fun shopping. Wish Sue a happy birthday for us.

Jim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic