Why did you comment on that video?

dennisg

Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:58 pm

With student videos receiving anywhere from 15 to 50 comments -- a tiny percentage of the total number of Target members -- it seems pretty clear that we're being fairly selective about which videos we comment on. That got me wondering what criteria you use to evaluate a video. Do you tend to comment on videos of songs you know? From people you know? From someone who comments on YOUR videos? From people who rarely post a song? From people who post a lot of songs? Of Target songs only? Of any song from anyone? From someone new to the site? From people who speak Dutch?

suziko

Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:13 pm

Good question, Dennis. In my first few months at TG, I tried to comment on every student video that was uploaded. My fellow Target members have always been very supportive of my videos and I want to be equally supportive of theirs. But either the number of student videos being uploaded has increased dramatically, or my free time has decreased (or, most likely, both), because I just can't keep up with all of them anymore! These days I try to comment on a few a week. I have certain people on whose videos I'll always comment on, because I consider them friends. I apologize if that offends people- to me it seems natural that you spend more time on people you know and like. Then, with the people I don't know or don't know well, I'll usually comment if I know and/or like the song. And sometimes it's just random! I happen to have some extra free time, and so I'll watch the recent student videos that have been uploaded and comment on them. I still wish I could comment on everyone's videos- I certainly do not want to intentionally offend someone by not commenting on their video and, as I've said, people are always really kind about commenting on mine. But, as is the case with everyone, my free time dedicated to guitar-related activities is limited and I have to prioritize where I spend it. Sometimes that means commenting on videos, sometimes it means writing/answering PMs, and sometimes that means commenting in threads like this one. But i've found that I just can't do it all and STILL play my guitar (which is my number one priority).

AndyT

Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:52 pm

Suzi pretty much summed it up for me. I've been asked this before and I gave mostly the same answer.

Music Junkie

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:16 pm

Dennis:

I used to comment on all of them that were posted. With all of the hoopla lately, I have backed off considerably. I guess I am just coming to grips with the fact that my skills are VERY weak, and I don't really have anything to add that has not already been said. I'll still pipe in once in a while to give a well deserved slap on the back to someone. As far as giving feedback, I feel that most people on this site can probably play better than me, so my opinion is of little use..... :) :)

I watch most, if not all, of them and enjoy the hell out of them all....... B) B)

J

tovo

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:21 pm

Boy this will be a tough one to answer without writing a novel.

I make a conscious effort to comment on every single video that is posted. If I don't it's because I have missed it. I don't care if it's a highly technical piece that has clearly taken months to learn (Of course I highly admire the effort it has taken and try to acknowledge it accordingly) or a simple 3 open chord tune. I try to keep in mind that people have all sorts of motivation for posting, and they are all valid in my opinion. Here's some:

1. The person has been working on this tough piece for ages and is posting to show progress and solicit some advice - A great reason to post.

2. The song is one that the individual learned and enjoys playing and possibly singing, and wants to share - A great reason to post.

3. The person thinks "hey I love this song and I think I play it pretty well, I wonder what others think?" - A great reason to post.

4. The person has only just started on the tune, it's not great yet, they know it, but think that they could get early feedback that will save them hours of frustration so they throw it up and hope more experienced players will comment - A great reason to post.

5. The song is REALLY special to them. Maybe a tribute to a departed friend or relative. Maybe a chance to collaborate with a friend or loved one and share the joy of the experience with their TG friends - A GREAT reason to post in my opinion.

So...I know that each video has importance to the person who posted it. And to be frank, if someone just wants to hear "hey dude that was great", then for me it's not a problem.

I spend a LOT of time on this forum, so I don't feel it impacts negatively on my time to post a comment. My only problem area is when the individual is clearly a much stronger player than me and I feel I have seen an area for improvement. I get concerned that I will sound arrogant when I point it out. I often say stuff like "I THINK this...but other, better players may correct me". I remember long ago pointing out what I thought was an area for improvement and being told I was totally wrong. That was cool, I learned something as well.

Finally (thankfully I hear) I REALLY appreciate it when people take the time to comment on my videos. The tech feedback is brilliant and of course when people praise your effort you feel good about yourself. That's a good thing and a motivating factor. I'm not shy to say that I play for myself but also to entertain others. Anyway, I feel that if I don't comment on other people's videos, then why the hell should they bother to comment on mine? It goes both ways.

OK, I didn't write a novel...just a chapter.

Hydroman52

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:26 pm

Sadly, not enough time to watch all of them or comment. Fortunately, there is the "Views" counter that upcounts when I watch one so that the person knows that I am interested and supporting them. Usually, selection is made by interest in the song. If I don't comment, I still value others comments and get good information from it. On this site, I definitely get back more than I put in and feel just a bit guilty . . . sorry.

I keep putting my spare time in an old cigar box in the cupboard, but every time I open it to use some, it's all gone. Can't seem to figure it out.

Hydroman52

snipe

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:32 pm

That is an interesting question!

I have been ,in the recent past commenting on almost every video in the student review area. Might have missed a couple? I have no agenda, just to get better at my guitar playing and if I help someone else out in a comment that is good Karma. Anyway I dont spend alot of time in other discussions or groups so I am able to focus more on student videos, but I am at the point were I want to take a break from it and just go do Neil lessons so If I dont comment for awhile that will be why. Having said all that I often wonder what motivates people to post, or not to post. I have seen the discussions on should I post Target songs only or not and Im pretty much in the camp of who cares, so if its a good song and someone wants some input I dont mind commenting. That is pretty much my input. I'll be interested to read more as this thread developes, or if at all.

Mike

BobR

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:50 pm

Dennis,
Typically the first thing I do when I log on is to see if there's any new video uploads for review. I try to make it point to view them all. Most times everything is on the first page so I don't go looking beyond that because it usually gets bumped to the top anyway. I try to add comments that support the poster if it's appropriate. I've gotten constructive criticism and to me, that gives me the opportunity to hopefully improve my guitar playing. That's just another thing I really like about this site.

That's my 2cents

Bob

Lavallee

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:05 pm

It is a very interesting question but I never ask myself why (until now, good shrink question Dennis). I pretty much comment on as many video as I can. I often put technical comments because it helps me learn, it is a bit selfish, I know. If something is missing or does not sound exactly right, I try to figure it out. By nature I am not very artistic, I am a technician.

When I feel a technique can be improved, I often go back to the lesson and compare. Since there are songs that I do not have much interest for, I do not watch the lesson properly. But when I see them played by a fellow TGer, I take the opportunity to look at the lesson, not be a smart a.. but to improve my knowledge. Sometimes I make mistake in the comments, then someone straighten me up, then I learn again.

Of course there are many that are non Target, but I try to look at them the same way, check with the original.

I think this is very useful and more interactive than learning traditionally.

Marc

MarkM

Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:25 pm

Dennis,

Yet another good topic. Between you Tony and Suzi I think we have our alotment for deep thoughts for the week :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: . Just kidding. Maybe it's my alotment for deep thougths this week and its only Monday. Well I'll try and keep this short but probably won't. So what gets me to comment on a video? Hmmm... Well at first, last year, I would go and comment on everyone's as I was new to this (as many of you at the time) and I really enjoyed the interaction of this site. There were a dozen or so folks back then that would post their video's and it was manageable. I could work, practice, look at the forums and yet still have time to see my wife and kids. Over time life got a bit busy and the site grew and I just got overwhelmed by all the new videos that I fell behind. I felt pretty bad about it as I wanted to show everyone the same amount of support that I got. So now what I try and do is watch everyones post and depending on how late I am to the party determines if I do more than the "Great job" response. If I'm the 20 something response and all has been said then I really can't add much value. That seems to be happening a lot lately. To me I really don't care if it is a target song or something else. Chances are its a song that I want to learn anyway and if I can see someone else doing it then it helps me. Most folks here are better skilled than I am and I get tremendous pleasure watching and learning from those folks. I get just as much enjoyment from watching someone who is new to guitar or just trying out a new song. Singing, no singing, awesome player, new player, etc it doesn't matter. I would be lying if I said that I don't jump on a new video from one of those original members when I see it. I know what to expect and look forward to seeing what they do next. Also I have to say that I've seen alot of great stuff in the recent months from newer members or members who are just now posting songs. Some really good playing there.

So yeah...I'm writing the rest of Tony's book here. :laugh: :laugh: I will say that it is a privilege to have so many great folks comment on what I am doing. I try and take it all in. The kudos, suggestions, comments, mistakes pointed out, etc. All of it is of great value to me. I have so many things to learn and get better at that all of the folks responses and videos help me.

One last thing to Jason. You play far better than you think you do. You have a great deal of value here. Don't sell yourself short. I wish I could do some of the things you do with the guitar.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic