Is frustration holding you back?

millponddave

Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:55 pm

While I find playing the guitar to be relaxing, it is at the same time one of the most frustrating things I have ever attempted to do. When I watch my son instantly get something that I have been working on for weeks I just want to explode! I guess that's the difference between having a huge amount of talent (in my son's case) and no talent
[in my case). However I am determined to just keep plugging away with the knowledge that sooner or later the skill that I am trying to learn will take hold (maybe).

Dave

Chasplaya

Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:10 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
6 videos and not one was any where near good enough quality to post.
Geeze Chas, don't be such a wimp! Just post the damn thing warts un' all like the rest of us. Why should you be the only one to post a perfect video!
;-)))))))))))))Looking forward to it Chas!

PS. Isn't it amazing how things sound ok when they go out into the air just once ... and when you can rewind and play over again, it sounds crap?!
To aim for perfection would be nice, but first I've got to get something that's actually viewable and doesn't sound like thrash metal!! I'm off to hit the tech Groups to see if I'm beyond help or not Lol

tovo

Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:25 pm

jcrocket wrote:
Golf for me is like an abusive relationship - hours of misery and frustration, punctuated by brief moments of elation and satisfaction that keep me coming back for more.
Jeff that is a great analogy. Of course I only used golf for a comparison but I always suspected there were a few fellow golf desperados out there!

heavychevy wrote:
I have real problems when it comes to making a video. It seems I can play a song without errors as long as the video recorder is off, and as soon as I turn it one the mistake factor increases by a factor of 10 to 20.
Jim I know you're not alone there mate. But it gets easier so stick with it. Last night I had some people over and was asked to play and thought I did pretty good. That's a nervous situation as well and I know I handled it much better than I would have previously. The camera thing is similar, just keep trying. There is a thread on that very topic somewhere on the forum if you want to search. It was some time ago.

willem

Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:00 am

ONE beer please..

sws626

Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:52 am

If I felt any genuine frustration while actually playing the guitar, that would definitely defeat the whole purpose for me. It's become almost a kind of prop for meditating, being completely inside of one activity, and letting go of external sources of stress and frustration.

That said, I do have frustrations associated with the guitar -- I feel these when I'm not playing. The biggest is the one many have mentioned: making time for it. My parnter and I have a high pressure jobs and a small child, so time alone with the guitar is precious and I do get frustrated when I'm unable to put in focused time.

A secondary source of frustration comes almost immediately after I've more or less mastered something difficult. It's a kind of postpartum depression as I cast about for the next exercise or song. The large inventory of material here definitely helps, but perhaps having a plan that extended beyond the end of my nose would help more.

smips65

Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:48 am

:dry:

Interesting Thread:

Like many have suggested, the zone out factor while playing takes away frustration.

I've found that the added stress of performance, in front of others, or a camera is what leads to frustration. The urge to "get it right" is what creates the tightness, therefore blocking looseness, and flow while playing.

If my wife started shooting a vid without my knowledge, I'm positive it would come out better. Knowing just leads to a desire to perform, and for me that undermines the basis of why I'm playing in the first place.

blindshine

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:21 am

Mannnn... I've had some laughs over this thread. For me it is a love/hate relationship, but never hate toward my guitar. I can lull myself down an inward path in my mind with something as simple as a 1-4-5 blues progression or bring a thrill to myself when Classical Gas comes off without my fingers becoming tied in knots. My biggest frustration is not being able to figure out what is going on in something I'm listening to. Then I go back to a familiar progression and once again find that calm.

Michael

jayswett

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:04 pm

I can't say I've felt frustrated since I started playing the guitar again a year and a half ago. Perhaps that's because at the ripe age of 43, I've come to learn that slow and steady is the way to go. I don't expect much in terms of rapid progess, and consequently, don't get annoyed when I sense stagnation.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic