Is frustration holding you back?

tovo

Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:00 am

As many of you know, I have only been playing for a couple years. Something I find interesting is that I have never suffered the level of frustration with guitar that I had with other pursuits in my life. I remember for example that golf turned me into a raging psychopath with high blood-pressure such was my frustration with that game.

In fact, I can't remember ever getting terribly frustrated with guitar, even when I have struggled. I guess I should go back and check my early NW videos and see if I expressed frustration but I can't recall too much.

With guitar, I know that I am better this week than last week. I'm happy to take several weeks to learn a tune. What's the rush? I'm determined to improve, but rarely if ever frustrated. Perhaps that's common in the first few years where improvement is coming quickly and the frustration sets in later when improvement slows?

So...now that I have set myself up as the king of calm, how is it for everyone else? Do you get terribly frustrated with your learning or do you have a cool, calm approach.

Is a bit of frustration a good thing perhaps? Are you frustrated with your progress? I don't know, hoping for some interesting views.

willem

Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:17 am

Hey Mate,,i'm no longer frustrated(i've been),,i know now that i have a kind of progress and when a song not happen i know to give it a rest and pick it up later(maybe i was'nt ready for that skill),,i'm getting frustrated when the wife say's ''again,,there is more in live'',(and maybe she is right and i over do it),,i'm getting frustrated when work is in the way,(not good for the work),when i try to play guitar its for me relaxing and fun and certainly when i found a song i realy want,,never pick it up when i'm sad or tired(then i hang on the couch),, yes i think i understand you and the frustrating goes a way when you progress and it becomes a relaxing sport.

Chasplaya

Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:18 am

I only get frustrated with my approach and poor discipline in getting organised into a good practice routine. I notice a difference when I do, but then I drift off and start new things and frustrate myself again, I do get frustrated with the technical side of recording stuff, again its just probably a bit of patience required.

wiley

Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:27 am

AndyT

Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:18 am

Fortunately, I have the task of learning more ever faster to keep ahead of my students. I still wonder how I got the job.

willem

Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:37 am

AndyT wrote:
Fortunately, I have the task of learning more ever faster to keep ahead of my students. I still wonder how I got the job.
On the bicycle or guitar Andy?...lol...sorry could'nt resist

AndyT

Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:45 am

Both Willem! LOL

willem

Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:52 am

AndyT wrote:
Both Willem! LOL
Now i know for certain you keep ahead,sorry again,, let stay on topic,,can i have your shoes Tony??

Lavallee

Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:34 am

The main reason why I do not get frustrated with guitar playing is because there is plenty of material here on the TG site to consider doing something different when I am stuck. There are also tons of other partitions that we have access now which I can use Guitar Pro as a basic guidance. So unless you just want to learn only 1 song in very little time, there should no reason to get frustrated.

No time limit is the essence of an enjoyable hobby.

This is why golf is so frustrating. We cannot play every day (not even every week)and with very little practice, we expect to be way better than the last time. I still enjoy it, but I have learn not throw my clubs anymore. The guitar is accessible to us every day (most of the time).

By the way Tony, thanks for starting those threads

Marc

Chasplaya

Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:14 am

Chasplaya wrote:
I only get frustrated with my approach and poor discipline in getting organised into a good practice routine. I notice a difference when I do, but then I drift off and start new things and frustrate myself again, I do get frustrated with the technical side of recording stuff, again its just probably a bit of patience required.
I guess I should add I don't get frustrated playing in case anyone got the wrong message from me, its very relaxing and enjoyable. So its not the guitar or playing . Its just my approach which I know I can do better at, also I need to buckle down and learn more about creating better quality vids , certainly after my abysmal efforts last week , 6 videos and not one was any where near good enough quality to post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic