Is frustration holding you back?

Lavallee

Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:18 am

Chas, when you say " video not having the quality to post", do you mean you were not happy with your playing or the actual quality of the image and sound?

Marc

Chasplaya

Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:22 am

Lavallee wrote:
Chas, when you say " video not having the quality to post", do you mean you were not happy with your playing or the actual quality of the image and sound?

Marc
I did 6 videos, 5 playing all of them I got the angle of the camera wrong,(must have nudged the tripod) the audio on the three guitars played through my amp was like an electric guitar using a lot of distortion. So one easy fix just double check my set up and don't knock the tripod, although not sure about the audio issues, now as you can imaging the time it took to take 6 vids that was frustrating lol!!

I was introducing all my guitars and played a different tune on each and actually thought I'd done very well, then play back time disastrous... I could have cried!!

Lavallee

Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:01 am

You will be a recording studio expert after that. Looking forward to see the video.

Marc

dennisg

Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:42 am

Golf frustrates everyone: even the pros grimace and yell at their caddies after shanking one into the rough or blowing a 4-foot putt. I'm convinced golf was invented by a Scottish psychiatrist who was trying to drum up business for his small psychiatric practice by destroying people's self-confidence. Golf is a game that provides only marginally more entertainment than fishing, but with the added components of self-loathing and utter despair.

I gave up golf when I realized I could throw the clubs further than I could hit the ball.

It's not frustration that holds me back as a guitarist. It's laziness that does it.

Lavallee

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:21 am

dennisg wrote:
[quote]Golf frustrates everyone: even the pros grimace and yell at their caddies after shanking one into the rough. I'm convinced golf was invented by a Scottish psychiatrist who was trying to drum up business for his small psychiatric practice by destroying people's self-confidence.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

jcrocket

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:43 am

Boy, this is a thread that hits close to home. At this point in my life and career, guitar and golf are about the only activities outside of work that I have time for.

To say that golf frustrates me would be a gross understatement. Psychologists speak of the five stages of grief - denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance - well, I routinely cycle through those mental states during a typical 18 holes, often more than once per round. Golf for me is like an abusive relationship - hours of misery and frustration, punctuated by brief moments of elation and satisfaction that keep me coming back for more.

I find guitar to be just the opposite - I'll often play for hours, enjoying virtually every moment as I relieve the stresses of the day, and the only time I experience anything approaching frustration is if a particular passage is giving me trouble - at which time I'll either attack it and work through it, or just move on to another song, depending on my frame of mind at that time. I know that this "path of least resistance" approach is not very conducive to developing new skills (notice I used the word "play" instead of "practice"), but in all honesty, that is not what I need from the guitar at this particular time. I guess I only have the abilty to focus on a certain number of goals at one time in my life, and my hope is that once I get a few other areas squared away (which should be soon), I can put more focus on some of my guitar goals. At that time, my answer to the frustration question could very well change. Time will ultimately tell, but meanwhile, the guitar's been one of the best stress relievers I've ever experienced.

Oh well, time to get up off the therapist's couch and get back to work ;)

Jeff

neverfoundthetime

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:58 am

6 videos and not one was any where near good enough quality to post.
Geeze Chas, don't be such a wimp! Just post the damn thing warts un' all like the rest of us. Why should you be the only one to post a perfect video!
;-)))))))))))))Looking forward to it Chas!

PS. Isn't it amazing how things sound ok when they go out into the air just once ... and when you can rewind and play over again, it sounds crap?!

mcfingers

Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:39 am

I have never felt that frustration has been the thing that has held me back when playing guitar. Frustration at finding the time to play, yes.

One of the things I discovered about myself and guitar early on, when I was a young man, was it's calming effect on me. I think this is generally true about any music too. When ever I would get bogged down with, whatever, I would grab my guitar go in my room, lay back on the bed facing the ceiling and just start strumming or picking slowly. I would not even worry about playing a particular song. I would just play chords that went together, finding combinations that sounded pleasing to me at that moment. It had a very relaxing effect on me. I still will do that if I am feeling particularly stressed. Fortunately, I have a pretty easy going nature to begin with and don't get really stressed often. I think playing this way has much the same effect that meditation would have in Yoga.

I think most frustrations results when we try to control something rather than go with the flow and realize that if you can't actually do something about a situation then don't waste energy worrying about it. I know, sometimes easier said than done.

heavychevy

Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:14 pm

I have real problems when it comes to making a video. It seems I can play a song without errors as long as the video recorder is off, and as soon as I turn it one the mistake factor increases by a factor of 10 to 20. Is there such a thing as stage fright when you are playing in front of an inanimate thing like a camera? Maybe I should have my wife turn it on when I am not looking (wonder if that would actually work?). Any of you fellow TG'ers ever have issues like this? Driving me nuts...all suggestions appreciated!

Thanks to all,

Jim C

songman52

Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:56 pm

I agree with mcfingers, finding or making the time to play is my main frustration. More and more songs get posted and I can't keep up!!! I have to tell myself, "Work on the ones you REALLY want to learn for now" but then the next week there's ANOTHER one I really want to learn!

Oh well, I guess it comes down to practicing discipline.

Jerry

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic