Giving Children the opportunity to learn

Music Junkie

Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:10 am

Well said Wiley!

B) B)

Jason

neverfoundthetime

Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:36 pm

Just wanted to pick op on the point about music making kids (or anybody) more intelligent.
I follow the research closely and have been to book shop talks and had conversions with the leading people in this field from Münich and Zürich University, for example Prof. Lutz Jäncke. It's a little misleading to say people become more intelligent with playing music or learning an instrument. But it is fair to say that the brain becomes better networked and certain areas develop more neuronal connections making a more functional brain but it's not going to help you solve that maths equation or crossword puzzel or bump up your IQ points specifically. It will make you better at your music producing activities and functions, for sure. It's also not true to say that listening to baroque music when learning assists in learning (this was specifically claimed in the 90s by the SUPER LEARNING people, Ostrander & Schroeder & Co.).

Jäncke did say that coffee is pretty good doping for the brain as it definitely helps alertness and is brain stimulant. But probably not the muck that's traditionally drunk in USA and UK, man that stuff sucks! You are probably o.k. with Starbucks though ;-). Just not the best thing for kids, more for adults.

wammer

Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:39 pm

WOW................ got caught in the surf and this is what I come up with..thought you might enjoy.....head line says hes 5

smips65

Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:48 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Well said Wiley!

B) B)

Jason

Ditto!!!

I feel the key element with respect to augmentation of metal ability playing an instrument has more to do with a problem solving element.

There are lots of speed bumps, and hurdles for young ones these days, TV, facebook, texting, and all the other electronic speed of light devices that just were not present in "our" day. The "Instant Gratification" that so occupies their minds overwhelms the more mundane, and pedestrian problems that need to be taken care of.

For example: How many of these young ones would know how to change out a blown tire on a car? Which way to turn the wrench? Where does the jack go?

This may sound silly, but really, think about it...
My oldest daughter has no clue, even though I have shown her several times.
The attitude is just, well, I'll pay someone to take care of it for me, after I've payed for the tow, or worse after I've driven the car on a flat for a distance that has now ruined the rim.

Playing an instrument has challenges, that just simply can not be pawned off on someone else.
You either want to get it, or don't.
Some have a gift, some need to practice and practice some more, the gist here is, when an individual devotes the time and interest in overcoming a difficulty, something is learned about oneself.

If I try hard enough, I can do it!

And that my friends leads to overcoming other things in life.

It isn't so much about raising ones IQ(IMHO), it's really about realizing that if you apply yourself, you'd be surprised at what you can accomplish.

Music Junkie

Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:29 pm

smips65 wrote:
It isn't so much about raising ones IQ(IMHO), it's really about realizing that if you apply yourself, you'd be surprised at what you can accomplish.
Could not agree more. I have that conversation with both my boys on a regular basis. I tell them all the time that they can be ANYTHING they put their mind to, IF THEY ARE WILLING TO WORK FOR IT...... B)

With music, and their Taekwondo, they are learning to stick with things and make goals for themselves. It is great to see.

I also love that many folks here at the site have reached some goals that they had though impossible at one time..... :) :)

J

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic