Guitar camp -- a complete report

TGMatt

Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:09 pm

Thank you Dennis for a superb write up...this is a perfect example of a great contribution we can all bask in..thank you again...with what we have coming in our redesign and restructure I will have the opportunity to highlight posts this good so they stand out for all to benefit from..

Cheers mate

jayswett

Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:55 pm

I recently received an email from a guy at my local guitar shop who invited me to one of these workshops in Vermont. I dismissed the thought rather quickly, but obviously need to reconsider. As for your getting teary eyed at the talent show, I wouldn't feel too silly about that. I got choked up just reading your post.

dennisg

Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:02 pm

Kevin: I can understand why the thought of doing a guitar camp would be scary. But trust me on this, you would fit in perfectly. There were people there who had to be shown how to play a C and an A chord. As for the people who are more experienced than you, they will likely be as happy as can be to show you anything you want to know.

Marc: That's an interesting question. To be honest, I googled "guitar camp washington state," and happened to find one of the best camps in America. Other than its location, I knew nothing about the quality of the camp ahead of time. Total dumb luck on my part.

Jim: The camp is fairly remote, so everyone lives there for the week. And even if you did go home for the evening, you'd miss a lot of cool experiences.

Bob: I honestly can't think of another situation I've been in where people were more supportive and kind. In an entire week spent chatting with 110 other students and a number of teachers, there wasn't a single awkward or unkind moment.

Jeff: Playing in front of others is one thing; playing in front of others, some of whom happen to be professionals, is something else. And now that I've done it, the next time will go much easier. I hope.

ffsooo: Interestingly, video cameras are the one piece of technology they don't allow there. I can only speculate on the reason why. Here are four possibilities: 1) They don't want to see their content on YouTube; 2) It would further terrify the students during the talent show; 3) It might be disruptive in the classes; and 4) People occasionally skinny-dip in the lake.

And everyone else: Thanks for your support. For sure, a guitar camp isn't intended as a replacement for TG -- and, in fact, I was quite the evangelist this past week. Several people who had never heard of it eagerly wrote down the name of the TG site after I told them about it. But I think a good guitar camp fills in a lot of gaps in our experience -- like playing with other people, learning specific guitar-playing techniques not yet covered by Neil, the camaraderie that comes from a shared goal, and many other things to be gained.

Craig

Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:36 pm

Dennis,
The camp sounds awesome. I'm glad you had such a great experience. I would really like to do something like that someday, although I certainly see myself as the terrified guy! Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Craig

TGMatt

Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:54 pm

out of interest .. cost?

Chasplaya

Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:10 pm

Sounds like you had a wonderful time Dennis. I don't think you mentioned but I guess it was all acoustic? Any manufacturers there sponsoring or anything like that? I'm not certain but I don't think we have guitar camps here, must check.

Thanks Dennis.

Lavallee

Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:36 pm

TGMatt wrote:
out of interest .. cost?
Do you have something in mind? I would attend

Marc

dennisg

Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:55 pm

Matt: $799 for the week, includes all classes, as many jams or workshops as you can attend, a room, and three meals a day.

Chas: My Aussie roommate had attended a guitar camp in Oz that he was very enthused about. It's called Summersong, located at Lennox Head.

TGMatt

Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:18 pm

We have discussed doing something a lot...it takes one heck of an organisational base..a lot of commitments by musicians who are hmmm ur um, notoriously flakey..and then we would need commitments from enough folk with hard earned cass to make it happen..

We also would want to have some pretty special extra folk there along with Neil...people you may never have a chance to be this close with..

and then of course we would want it to be even better than that...

So...not to hijack Dennis at all ...if you are interested start a poll ..and lets see some momentum come in from your side..we have some preliminary stuff in place already..we out it all off to get the site upgrade and some other content done for you guys ..which I think you are all going to be happy with , but maybe with Dennis kicking the idea off again here we may re-visit it..

CHeers and thx again Dennis

Hydroman52

Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:39 pm

Wow! Great review, Dennis. Easy to see why you are stoked about it. Can you give us an idea of the new skills that you picked up?

Hydroman52

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic