Guitar camp -- a complete report

jayswett

Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:25 pm

$799 seeems like a reasonable price for a 7 day camp, meals, etc. I was expecting a higher number. Not that 799 isn't a good sized chunk of cash. It is, but for what Dennis described, I would try to scrape up some funds to do that sort of thing.

songman52

Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:06 pm

Great post Dennis. Thanks so much for sharing. I really enjoyed it. Heck, I had so much fun just meeting and jamming with Bear this summer that a camp like that would be nirvana! (Or Foo Fighters, lol.)

Jerry

mcfingers

Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:15 pm

Great job recounting the camp Dennis. It sounds fantastic. Playing guitar, swimming, playing guitar, canoeing, playing guitars, hammocking, more playing guitar. What's not to love.

I like the idea of a TG camp sometime in the future.

Steve

ffsooo3

Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:20 am

Dennis - Just curious....
What was the age range of the attendees?
How many men?
How many women?

willem

Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:27 am

First i thought do i have to read this ''long'' report..lol..,i'm glad i did,,thanks Dennis,i'm sure you had a great week,,i's in my mind for several years to spend a musical holyday were you can work together on a project(everybody starts at zero) and then on the last day the performens,,i did'nt did any research yet but there is..
When i read you report my feeling was to wish i was there,,but i must first overwin my flying fear (yes i have) but i think when i can over win that(not to sure),thanks again for sharing your experience on the guitar camp..

dennisg

Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:28 am

Chas: Yes, all acoustic. No, no manufacturers were part of this.

Hydro: One thing I learned was how to take certain chord shapes and move them up the neck. I'd never done that before, but now find it tremendously useful. Another thing was using bass runs to connect chords. Another thing I learned was what the experience of playing for a large audience is like.

Jay: I'm not inclined to decide whether $799 is cheap or expensive for other people, but I thought the camp provided a lot of value for the money. Just the experience of playing along with professionals is priceless. What you learn in the classes, the camaraderie, and the experience of the student concert made the cost of the camp feel like a bargain to me. I didn't run into one person who was grumbling about not getting his money's worth.

Steve: It's an entire week where you get to go back to college and take only the most fun and relevant electives.

ffsooo: I was surprised by the demographics at the camp, which was skewed older. While there were about 5 teenagers there, mostly everyone else was 40 or above. And it seemed like a pretty even split between men and women.

Willem: I can't imagine anyone not benefiting from a good guitar camp, but I can certainly understand and sympathize with your phobia about flying. You might want to google "guitar camp netherlands" and see what you come up with. Maybe you'll find a camp somewhere in (or near) Holland that you can take a train to.

blindshine

Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:58 am

Wow Dennis....that sounds like a fabulous week and a great bargain for such an experience. I've been to a local clinic and that was a blast, so I can only imagine what a week of concentrated guitar would be like.

Thanks for sharing.
Michael

6stringbostic

Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:34 pm

yes really cool - thanks for sharing dennis!

i had always thought i was too novice for such a camp - thinking would be mostly pros and i would feel very left out and isolated.

would be great to have a "tg camp" eh? 8-)

THIS could be YOU when tgmatt and neil convince TE to attend with us:

how much would THAT be worth to you? :)

Catman

Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:48 pm

Dennis,

I am insanely jealous :)

We have an annual three-day "guitar festival in the desert". Although it is not as teaching oriented as your camp was, you've inspired me to try it out this year.

-David

AcousticAl

Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:25 pm

What a great experience, Dennis. Thanks for sharing!

I can imagine how you felt before getting up there for the talent show. Great that they were all so supportive.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic