Where does the bluegrass grow?

fortdick

Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:21 pm

I am new to the target program, although I have been lurking for a while. I was wondering if anyone else would like to see a little more contemporary bluegrass up here?

I specifically love the contemporary artists, Tyminski, Gillian Welch, Wailin' Jennys, etc. The newer stuff with guitar and mandolin, without banjos, to me brings in a more traditional sound. The album Real Time by Darrell Scott and Tim O'Brien is some of the best guitar/mandolin playing you will ever hear.

Bluegrass is basically played with open chords with licks and ebellishments tossed in. As some of the newer artists are showing, it can be very complicated.

Could we push for more bluegrass?

jayswett

Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:22 am

I do enjoy some Bluegrass, and particularly love the Wailin Jennies, who I saw two months ago in Lebanon, NH. They will be playing in Portsmouth, NH at Prescott Park very soon, and in fact it may even be tonight. They have a song called Ten Mile Stilts which would be a lovely Target Song. I suspect Neil knows a thing or two about Bluegrass guitar.

MarkM

Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:25 am

I'm not a huge Bluegrass fan but I have found myself interested in learning this style of playing more and more. I would certainly be up to seeing some lessons on this. I do like Tyminski from what I've seen from him on YouTube. Specifically I would like to see a lesson on Man of Constant Sorrow that he performs.

MarkM

lueders

Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:52 pm

Yeah, Bluegrass! I'm right there with ya fortdick! Gillian Welch, there you go...now you're cookin' with gas! And the "Jennies," double-AWESOME! (Way to go Jay.)

dekotaj

Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:57 pm

Yes Sir,

Bluegrass!Great music.And a lot of fun to play.I was a big Ricky Skaggs fan for years,seen him play 7 times in concert.Enjoyed everyone of them.

Kevin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic