Some funny things happened recently in the Brook Range of Alaska

sbutler

Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:28 pm

Just a few weeks ago, someone started a thread asking, "What do you do when your not playing a guitar for fun?" or something of that nature. Well I got to see one of my passions come to fruition, by driving 12 hours north of Palmer Alaska to the Brooks Range, strapping a pack on my back and heading into the back country, for what I thought would be several days of bowhunting. By the end of the day, I had managed to slip off of a wet boulder and plunged up to my waist in water that had been ice just a few minutes before. The good part of this was that the places on my left (fretting hand) that were pouring out blood, were numb. A little washing showed as usual that the injury's weren't more than a couple of small nicks, except for one.

That brings me to the very first post I ever made on TG. It was about the index finger on my left hand that had been severed a couple of times in construction accidents and it didn't have any feeling anymore. And the subject was, "how to deal with a finger that doesn't pay any attention to you?" Well that is until the slip in the Brooks Range. The one nick that didn't look so good was the finger nail on that same finger, had been bent over backwards and ripped off. Let my tell you, I found that I do have feeling in that finger after all. Once the cold wore off, I had feeling a plenty.

That leads to another thread that has been posted about hitting the wall. All I could think about at that point was "How the heck am I going to play my Seagull now?" I was forced to take a few days off once I got back home. By being away for a week, then being forced by pain to stay away a couple more days, I found that when I did pick up my guitar and start playing (very gingerly) that I have never played better. Everything that I tried, worked and I played things cleaner and clearer than ever before.

The finger is a little ugly now, but doing all right. Sadly my musical genius didn't seem to last too long. I'm back to the same old Scott that I was before my trip.

It would seem that there is a bottom line here, and that is a break from trying so hard, every once in a while, may be a good thing. I know that's hard to do, but maybe I learned something here.

Scott Image

jayswett

Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:43 pm

I agree completely with your bottom line. I have said before that when I struggle with a song that is at the edge of my abilities, leaving it for a few weeks or months almost always results in satisfaction when I return to it. That doesn't correlate completely with your anecdote, but the concept is the same.

willem

Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:54 am

Its good to be empty and fill it with nature..

Lavallee

Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:55 am

Scott, Sorry to hear about you accident. There seems to be some amazing landscape in your area. Since you have hiking interests, you might have some nice pictures to share.

Marc

AcousticAl

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:28 am

Thanks for the story, Scott.

I agree with your bottom line and I know you had to stop playing due to injury. But one thing I've found is to take a break from a song- but not playing in general if possible. It's very easy for a couple of days to turn into a couple of weeks or even months if you're not careful.

sbutler

Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:24 pm

Marc, Over the years, I have collected, what I think are some really neat pictures of the mountains up here.

I'm not a professional by any means, but I did when a photo contest a few years ago with the picture that I've attached for you.

Scott Image

DBabsJr

Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:32 pm

Woah...incredible picture.

Lavallee

Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:47 pm

sbutler wrote:
Marc, Over the years, I have collected, what I think are some really neat pictures of the mountains up here.

I'm not a professional by any means, but I did when a photo contest a few years ago with the picture that I've attached for you.

Scott Image
Thanks Scott, this is an amazing picture. Any other pictures you could upload on the site and let us know when you do it? Love those wildlife pictures

Marc

waggis

Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:26 pm

Sorry to read about your accident Scott. You'll be back to playing your guitar in no time... which reminds me of that inspirational video post of a man with no arms playing guitar with his feet. If you want something bad enough nothing can stop you.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:40 am

Great photo Scott and great story apart from the pain of the finger. Ouch! With something as complex as learning the guitar, it does make sense that taking a break and coming back to it will show progress. Our brains organise the things we learn during sleep and taking a break and coming back to something will show up all the hard work you were doing before the break. A little "silent learning" can go a long way!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic