How can we help each other regardless of skill?

AndyT

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:31 pm

I feel free to comment on anyone's comments as long as they realize that the comments are only for the purposes of commenting on the item in question. If they don't want a comment, then I still feel free to comment on a non-comment video unless they specifically state 'No Comments Please' which we all know could actually mean something totally different. LOL

Unless you say "Don't comment please", then anyone should feel free to comment.

suziko

Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:32 am

AcousticAl wrote:

Comments on my comment welcome.

Dude, your comment sucks!

AcousticAl

Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:32 am

I re-read Tony's 1st post here.

There have been times that I've felt unqualified to comment on someone's video. When that's the case, even a 'Wow!' comment can make someone's day. Someone just starting out might feel the same about a few of my uploads. I hope that wouldn't stop them from commenting.

Bottom line is that we all bring something different to the table. Different opinions & ideas. We can take what we like, leave what we don't like and hopefully become better players in the process.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:38 am

Should we be more willing to offer such opinion or are we better off leaving it to those who know?
I wouldn't dream of offering technical criticism unless I could play the song myself or have some very specific knowledge about the subject at hand. We're all better off leaving that to those who really know their stuff. Of course, we may not be accomplished performers of a specific song or technique, but we may well be expert listeners and know a song inside out from listening to it. So that does allow us to comment on what we are hearing and we may not know what the cause is but we may well know when something doesn't sound quite right. It would be helpful to comment on that IMHO.

AcousticAl

Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:47 am

suziko wrote:
AcousticAl wrote:

Comments on my comment welcome.

Dude, your comment sucks!
THAT'S funny!
Reminds me of some of the thoughtful comments people put on a few uploads I have that aren't on TG.
:angry:

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:13 am

BigBear wrote:
But I have become VERY cautious of offering any advice to anyone because it's become really apparent that not everyone on this forum can accept positive, well-intentioned criticism/advice. I recently offered a couple of suggestions to a newer member based on what I had observed Neil teaching. He responded that I was wrong and the way he played it was correct (which begs the question of why post a video if you are that good already?).

That's fine, no harm done, but that will be last time I ever offer advice to this member. Perhaps it might have been better to just say "thank you" and disregard the advice if you know it was wrong (it wasn't).

Frankly, there is no upside to offering advice or suggestions. So we all offer "well-dones and great jobs" because it is safe. Getting "strokes" is nice but it doesn't make you a better guitarist. That's a shame because there is much to be learned from such a diverse group of guitarists as on TG.

I firmly believe the old adage that nothing is ever learned by doing it right, We only learn when we do it wrong. And someone can point it out to us. I suggest that if someone wants to critique another member they do it by PM or privately. :cheer:
I feel quite strongly about this Bear. There is EVERYTHING to be gained by offering advice and constructive criticism for everyone on this site. It's all upside for everyone Bear so never let someone's thoughtlessness and lack of social skills dampen your fervour. You have a lot to give as do so many here and it would be a crying shame if you or anyone else held back on constructive criticism. A number of regulars have stood back from the forums over the past 6 months or so and that has dampened the vibe for me, I miss these folks and their contributions. I've kept a loose running score on the positive verses negative commenting going on at TG since I've been here and the ratio is overwhelmingly positive. Just remember, any impolite, aggressive or put-you-down comments made are a clearer comment on the commentator him/her-self than on any content here. TG is much more fun when Bears come out of their caves to play! :-)

wiley

Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:17 am

AndyT

Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:48 pm

Wiley,

Excellent comment about making comments on other's comments.... LOL
If I may add to it a bit....

It's always best to offer the very best comments and advice you possibly can because if it is correct and really applicable, then it will also fit other songs. It doesn't matter what song I happen to be working on. If I see you point out that Chris should not use chainsaws to strum with, then I can look and see that maybe I shoudn't use them either. And if you give a great reason why, then when I see it I'll have a new understanding which I can apply to all my songs.

In the long run, who cares if the person you originally directed the comment to took it like an adult or not? That's not the point of a forum. It's a very secondary thing. The main reason for a forum is the persistence of the post. It's there for many others to see and learn from down through time. So, forget the kids that can't handle truth and keep supplying the future with good, solid teaching and advice.

Forums are for the future, otherwise it would be a chatroom.

MarkM

Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:13 pm

Yet another great question from Tony. A great deal has been said already in which I agree. Getting back to the original question (I think) of how one can help/comment on a persons video for review regardless of skill really boils down to how well one knows a particular song more than skill level I believe. Don't get me wrong it certainly helps if the person giving the comments has played the song but it isn't necessary in my opinion. There are so many songs that I know inside and out but haven't tried to play or can not play at this time. However I do know how the song should sound. Be it tempo, how many beats there are supposed to be in a measure, emphasizing certain notes over others, etc. That can all be done if your just a fan of the song. I'm not one to give a ton of advice on this site as there are far more better players than I who usually hit the nail on the head on what the suggestion is. That being said, when I do give advice I try to give it in a very positive way (I hope it comes out that way) that applauds what is being done right and then suggest what could be worked on. It's usually the same advice that is given to me. Slow it down, speed it up, hit only a few strings here or there. Stuff like that. I have gotten a great deal of valuable advice here. Whether it comes directly from one of my videos or a tip that I got from reading comments on someone else's review. Sometimes that is all it takes to get my brain to click on something. I can't count how many times I've watch/read another persons video and picked up something of significant value. That in itself is one of the great features of this site. So for me.. Come one, come all and reply with a comment or suggestion on what you think I may need help on or what I've overlooked. I don't take anything personally. Heck your not going to steal my birthday away from me or anything.

As a side note to BigBear don't stop giving the great advice that you post up here. Again it's not just to the person you are directing it to but also the greater community. Heck I don't agree with everything that everyone writes but the vast majority is very helpful. Keep plugging away pal. It's valuable. Enough said.

MarkM

Lavallee

Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:27 pm

MarkM wrote:
[quote] Heck your not going to steal my birthday away from me or anything.

Anybody who wants to steal mine, is welcome. I had a enough of them ;)

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic