advice for cheap but good acoustic

acousticden

Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:45 am

Hi there,

this is my first post on the forums here and Im new to the world of guitars. I bought a £20 acoustic guitar when I was on holiday from one of those little beach front shops so I could learn to play. I love the sound of acoustic guitar, especially when its played by someone who knows how to do it properly! (and that person isnt me...yet)
I was surprised that the guitar I bought actually doesnt sound to bad and Im starting to get to grips with the basics and have been teaching myself guitar tab and simple chords and finger speed exercises, but now Ive noticed the bit where the strings are attached at the bottom end of the guitar is starting to peel off (lol), what can I say though, it was only £20 :)

So I have decided to try and get myself a better quality guitar and full size (my one is I spose classed as a baby dreadnought or something as its def smaller than others Ive seen)

I've been looking at the rustic seagull entourage s6 on ebay which has good reviews and been compared to a Martin, its solid wood which is the sort of guitar I want.
Im just wondering if you ppl on here could offer up any good advice on whats good/not good in this sort of price range (£100 - £200, the Seagull was £188 on ebay.

Thanks guys and any advice here would be really appreciated!
AcousticDen ;)

Ps: didnt realise how much there is to learn or how hard it is to pick up, but I love it! :D

AcousticAl

Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:53 am

Fitting that your long-lost rellie 'AcousticAl' is the first to respond here...

I used to have a Yamaha F-310 and really liked it. Sells for about $130 CDN new. Great starter full sized.

Others on here have and like the Seagull.

Anyways, have fun on here and we'll see you at the next family function!

**Edit:
Here the link to a similar discussion from a while back.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/6-a ... her-guitar

buddy

Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:58 am

You can't go wrong with the Seagulls. I own two of them and they are play that I play now.

BigBear

Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:37 am

Den- I agree with Al and Bud, go with Seagull. Absolutely the best guitar for the money on the market. Canadian guitar maker, great tone woods and really good construction. I don't know how they do it for the price but they do!! I bought an S6 for my son and he loves it.

I'm a HUGE Taylor fan (as everyone on this forum already knows! lol!), and if you can find one in your price range go for it. But Taylor's cheapest models use some laminates which I don't like. Seagull's don't have Taylor's amazing necks and sparkling sound but for the price difference the Seagull's are terrific instruments!

Cheers! And welcome to the forum! :cheer:

acousticden

Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:19 pm

thanks to all so far for your advice, seems like Seagull has earnt a lot of respect amongst the guitar masses lol. I gotta admit I dont know much about guitars but from reviews Ive seen and the close up pics of the seagull s6, it did look to me like it had quality components and the woods which are used sounded like decent wood and I fell in love with the rustic version, Ill prob end up getting one of them but keep your oppinions coming please, its always worth hearing what ppl have to say :)

Cheers ;)

tovo

Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:27 pm

Find a large guitar store, tell them how much you have to spend and play everything they can show you in the price range you have set. The one that feels great and sounds good to you is the one. If you want to try to save, see if you can find the same model on ebay or something like it for a cheaper price. Just be aware that no 2 guitars are exactly the same so if you find one that feels and sounds good in your price range I suggest you just buy it.

seldon1955

Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:30 pm

I was taking some lessons at Best Buy and one day I didn't bring my Martin in and used one of their guitars. It sounded almost as good as my $1,500 Martin (not quite but close).

It was a Fender acoustic and retailed for about $150. I have never heard another guitar in that price range that sounded nearly as good.

It also had nice action so depressing the strings (especially on the F chord) was quite easy.

At least try a Fendor.

AndyT

Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:54 pm

Best Buy has guitar lessons?

seldon1955

Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:53 pm

yeah at least in the OC. Loved the kid, great guitarist, he could just never come up with a plan for me so...

also, 17.50 per lesson for .5 hour which is great out here.

acousticden

Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:27 am

Cant afford the seagull now but someone I know is selling an older model, Gibson acoustic. He wants £130, I believe these to be good guitars, am I right? I couldnt tell ya what model it is but will find out, I know its not a beginners one. What you think about £130 for it though, its in good condition etc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic