What's the future of popular music?

tovo

Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:58 pm

Rather obviously, Totally Guitars lessons are focused on artists and tunes from the 60's and 70's. There are certainly enough of us who think that was a "golden" era in popular music to make that a very popular genre overall.

We have seen Punk, Pop, trance, techno, Rap and it's sometimes disturbing permutations and the like.

I wonder where music will go? I know that my young boys listen to what I listen to, because it's my car and they have no choice! But the fact is my kids know the words to Neil Young, Beatles, Cat Stevens etc, etc and they honestly enjoy that music.

I remember it used to be very uncool to dig what your parents dug (probably still is) but I see a lot of young people looking back rather than forward for musical enjoyment.

What do you think?

Lavallee

Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:27 pm

Thanks for the question Tony, you make us think. Socrates must be related to you.

Music will evolve and will always be appreciated by the teenagers of that generation having no other reference but what their friends like, as it did for us. Older generations can either adapt or complain, what ever is easier...

Marc

wiley

Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:58 pm

unclewalt

Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:59 pm

tovo

Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:07 am

unclewalt wrote:
Iron and Wine (whom I bet a lot of people here would love)
You piqued my curiosity Walt so I went to Youtube and checked out the tune "Naked as we came". Very nice. It was worth starting the thread to find a band I will explore further but had previously not heard of. Thanks.

unclewalt

Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:16 am

willem

Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:44 am

tovo wrote:
I remember it used to be very uncool to dig what your parents dug (probably still is) but I see a lot of young people looking back rather than forward for musical enjoyment.

What do you think?[/quote]

I think you right there and the shop is very filled,,what i would like to here is music out our time in a new coat,,i heard yesterday ''wild world'' by someone(don't know who?)on the radio and loved it,,it was a kind of diffrent but nicely,,i love to watch ''idols'' or some thing like that where young people get out of there corner and show us there skills..I would love also to hear some songs from this time you like,,,on the moment i do not know one,, well i like ''soul sister'''by train.

pbraun

Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:56 am

Going by what my adult kids and now my grandkids, it seems to be the country music the listen to. Alot of country music I see is almost rock, or at least crossover. So maybe it's not that far from what they grew up listening to in the back seat.

michelew

Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:01 am

I nominate Tony for the official title of Forum Quiz Master (until someone else earns this prestigious title). Well at least he should hold the record for the greatest number of interesting threads. Anyone want to second my recommendation?

willem

Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:13 am

michelew wrote:
I nominate Tony for the official title of Forum Quiz Master (until someone else earns this prestigious title). Well at least he should hold the record for the greatest number of interesting threads. Anyone want to second my recommendation?
HE is the biggest!!! TONY,TONY,TONY,TONY!! and a filosoof i think.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic