What's the future of popular music?

suziko

Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:49 am

[i]Uncle Walt wrote:[/i]
Classic rock was uncool for only one generation: Generation X.

suziko

Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:49 am

Uncle Walt wrote:

Perhaps it was the part of the country I grew up in (I seem to remember you saying you are from Chicago, and I'm from the east coast) but in my experience, this statement is completely untrue. I'm solidly a Generation Xer (I was born in 1972) and as a teenager I listened predominantly to classic rock, as did pretty much everyone I knew. Yes, hair metal bands were hugely popular at that time, but so many of them were influenced by and defined by classic rock, and we all looked at classic rock as a sort of "canon." You listened to White Snake AND you listened to Led Zeppelin.

tovo

Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:50 am

I sure agreed with a lot of what Wiley and Walt had to say, the 60's in particular was a golden era and to think that 40 odd years later so much of that music is still popular and relevant reinforces that assertion I think.

Ah Willem...I just figured out what a "filosoof" is! lol. Thanks mate but hardly. Just someone with too much time on my hands.

ffsooo3

Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:56 am

I no longer follow "popular" music. The big music industry and huge radio stations seem to force such a limited selection of music down our/my throats. And the "oldies" stations seem to play a VERY limited number of the old songs - I got SO tired of hearing "Philadelphia Freedom" and "Riders on the Storm" I stopped listening to the oldies stations too. I love surfing YouTube for exceptional covers (or even originals) from amateur musicians. There's just so much music out there to be discovered!

willem

Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:40 am

ffsooo3 wrote:
[ i love YouTube for exceptional covers (or even originals) from amateur musicians. There's just so much music out there to be discovered![/quote]

You got me on this one,,i love that to,,so nice for example the songs that you work on and then find a someone that does great in your own opnion,,and its nice to see and hear people are busy with there!! music..

dekotaj

Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:08 am

ffsooo3 wrote:
I no longer follow "popular" music. The big music industry and huge radio stations seem to force such a limited selection of music down our/my throats. And the "oldies" stations seem to play a VERY limited number of the old songs - I got SO tired of hearing "Philadelphia Freedom" and "Riders on the Storm" I stopped listening to the oldies stations too. I love surfing YouTube for exceptional covers (or even originals) from amateur musicians. There's just so much music out there to be discovered!

I hear that.Thats why they put CD player and a place to plug in a MP3 player in cars now day.What a great thing.My two boys listen to different kinds of music.My twenty three yr. old goes to all these big out door festivals.Hes big into a guy,Killer Williams,Kind of a one man band.My younger boy 19,listen to a lot of country music.Its kind of strange,he has a Chevy Blazer,And hes got those great big bass speakers in the back.So you can only imagine him pulling up in the driveway with Miranda Lambert or some of these other new country folks just a thumping.Yes,makes me want to do a little THUMPING myself.Just kidding,Kid will be kids.

Kevin

unclewalt

Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:49 am

wiley

Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:30 am

MarkM

Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:13 am

suziko wrote:
Uncle Walt wrote:

Perhaps it was the part of the country I grew up in (I seem to remember you saying you are from Chicago, and I'm from the east coast) but in my experience, this statement is completely untrue. I'm solidly a Generation Xer (I was born in 1972) and as a teenager I listened predominantly to classic rock, as did pretty much everyone I knew. Yes, hair metal bands were hugely popular at that time, but so many of them were influenced by and defined by classic rock, and we all looked at classic rock as a sort of "canon." You listened to White Snake AND you listened to Led Zeppelin.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I was born in 1969 (the day Neil Armstrong landed on the moon for those who remember that) and grew up in NH. My parents were constantly playing music on those records and 8 tracks. Beatles, Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Steve Miller Band, etc.... That is what I grew up with. However my friends and I gravitated from there to Zeppelin, CSN&Y, Simon and Garfunkel, Aerosmith. Of course we listened to Whitesnake, AC/DC (huge back then), Dokken and the hair band of the day. With all that said most of the gen Xers that I know and grew up with have our feet firmly planted in the classic rock world.

Today I mostly listen to Sports radio on the car and when I want music I'll put on the satalite radio stations like classic vinyl, classic rewind, Deep tracks, coffee house, and the 60's, 70's and 80's stations. Of course the ipod helps out there as well.

MarkM

neverfoundthetime

Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:32 am

Ah Willem...I just figured out what a "filosoof" is! lol. Thanks mate but hardly. Just someone with too much time on my hands.
Join the ranks of the great Aussie Philosophers Tony :-) ...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic