Expanding our listening horizons

wiley

Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:03 am

Music Junkie

Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:07 am

I have shared this guy a few times on the site. Neal Schon was, and still is, the guitarist for Journey. He got his big break in his very young teenage years probably 13-14 years of age when he got invited to play with both Santana and Eric Clapton in the same week! He played for Santana on one or two albums and then got the call from the producer from Journey to come talk to Steve Perry and see if they hit it off.

Anyway, he has several solo albums out and my favorite is the album "Beyond the Thunder"

Here is "Bandalero" off of that album....

This is "Espanique"

"Boulevard of Dreams"

"Big Moon"

"Zanzibar"

"Send Me An Angel" - written for his wife...... :)

J

Lavallee

Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:59 am

wiley wrote:
Marc,

To me, the definition goes a bit deeper than just "Independent of a Big Name Record Label". If we used that particular definition only, then all those folk out there trying to 'be discovered' would fit into "Indie" also, and maybe they do for a part. "Indie" has become it's own Genre, as a whole.

I tend to think "Underground" or those who say "No, Mr. Record Company Executive, I know you really think I can be a big star, but I ain't gonna sign over my rights to do my music, my way." Question - Boyce Avenue was known as "Indie", what do we categorize them as now since they signed a deal with Universal Republic? Are they still "Indie" or are they something else?

Honestly, I was just trying to have a bit of fun with Tony. Need to work on my humor!
Hi Wiley,

I am the one who is sorry, I should have seen this as humor. I have only discover this Indie stuff on the site and do not know much about it. I am unfortunately too traditional ( I am the one going in circle very fast) and I need to explore these bands. Many TGers have brought the subject up, I just need to be a little more curious.

Marc

unclewalt

Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:18 pm

tovo

Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:55 pm

I,m copying the link to The Answer. Hope this works.

AndyT

Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:07 pm

For a great singer songwriter check out Richard Shindell. One of my all time favorites.

mickm

Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:26 pm

I saw this guy live about a month ago at small local venue.
Great guitarist, has been touring with, and penned a few tunes on Jimmy Buffett's
latest CD.

Music Junkie

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:43 pm

mickm wrote:
I saw this guy live about a month ago at small local venue.
Great guitarist, has been touring with, and penned a few tunes on Jimmy Buffett's
latest CD.
@mickm:

Nice share, I really enjoyed that tune..... :)

J

mickm

Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:20 am

Here's another really good songwriter I enjoy.
I've seen him a couple of times at an annual songwriters Invitational called
"Six String Music"
He's written songs for Jimmy Buffett, John Prine,and Jerry Jeff Walker

Lavallee

Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:49 am

Thanks Mick for this video, I like him a lot. I will look deeper in his music and probably buy a CD.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic