Expanding our listening horizons

ncsurfer

Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:11 pm

What a great thread! I am always looking for new music and always excited to share the music I enjoy.

Energy Orchard was band from nearly 20 years ago that should have made it big but didn't seem to get off the shores of Ireland.

Their lead singer, Bap Kennedy, has some excellent recent work. I couldn't find anything on YT for him but I suggest you take a listen to "The Sweet Smell Of Success" and "Unforgiven" if you can find an mp3, wonderful songs with great lyrics. His style turned more folksy after his time with Energy Orchard.

Here's a short TV feature on them from 1990 that quickly showcases two of Energy Orchards more "well known" songs.

[video][/video]

If you like Bap then I also suggest listening to some Saw Doctors.

[video][/video]

Time to get some rest, Hurricane Earl is kicking up some good swells here in North Carolina, time to hit the surf!

Cheers!

abiliog

Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:41 pm

Another good thread,

Maybe you already know this name, Tal Wilkenfeld, a 24 years old jazz bass player. I saw her for the first time on TV two years ago I think, playing with Jeff Beck.

Abilio

unclewalt

Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:07 pm

Lavallee

Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:28 pm

unclewalt wrote:
Thanks, Suziko! Pasting in a link -- what a concept! This system is actually *more* advanced, at least in that way, than I thought. (The name is Dan, by the way. Bad choice for a handle, I guess.)

One of my favorite bands over the past 15 years is The Negro Problem. Its leader, Stew, also records under his own name. The music is way more eclectic than a couple of Youtube videos can show: rock, psychedelic rock, soul, jazzy folk, ballads. But here he is opening his Broadway musical, Passing Strange:

I saw that in Berkeley a couple of times several years ago before he took it to NY. Spike Lee made a movie out of it, which was released a few months ago. You can see it on video.

There isn't much video available online, but here's TNP's Comikbuchland, audio only. Maybe the best song ever written about LA:

Thanks Dan for introducing The Negro Problem (interesting name), I like it a lot.

Marc

wiley

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:23 am

Lavallee

Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:09 am

wiley wrote:
[quote]Tony, it's "Indie Rock", here in the States, "Indy" is used in referenece to that place in Indianapolis, Indiana we have here that cars go around really, really fast (in a sort of circular path)! AKA the "Indy 500"!!

Hi Wiley, I thought Indie meant short for independent from the big companies.

Marc

Music Junkie

Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:39 am

Lavallee wrote:
wiley wrote:
Tony, it's "Indie Rock", here in the States, "Indy" is used in referenece to that place in Indianapolis, Indiana we have here that cars go around really, really fast (in a sort of circular path)! AKA the "Indy 500"!!

Hi Wiley, I thought Indie meant short for independent from the big companies.

Marc
Marc:

Indy - is used for the raceway, and Indie is used for independent. You are correct....

J

Music Junkie

Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:46 am

I recently watched a special on TV about a guy that repaired guitars for Jackson Browne, Paul Simon and Carly Simon. Anyway there was a short piece with this nice little song in it. I enjoyed it and did a bit of research. Found a nice album by Ben Taylor (son of James Taylor and Carly Simon).

Music Junkie

Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:51 am

The Album Leaf is another of the little know bands that I enjoy listening to. I really don't know how to classify their music since it kind of ranges all over the place. Maybe electronic would be closest....????

Anyway, here is a nice acoustic ballad called "Streamside" off of their album In A Safe Place

J

Music Junkie

Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:59 am

Some of you may know these guys. Eloy is a band that has been around since the 70's. They are a German Prog-Rock band which are sometimes classified as space rock. I have all of their albums and love to listen to them while on long drives on the way to the Sierras (mostly through the desert regions).

Here is "Castle in the Air"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic