Name a Song about a Historical Figure

haoli25

Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:46 pm

You are more than welcome, Tony. Tom Clay was an old American disc jockey and part-time crook. :) He was caught in the payola scandals of the late 1950's. After learning his lesson, he started a Beatles Fan Club scam. He sold pencils, matchsticks, tissues, coins, etc., all that he claimed were owned by the Beatles. He was busted on fraud charges for that one!
Although he did many rotten things in his life, surely the compilation for "What The World Needs Now/Abraham, Martin, and John" was one of his best efforts. :)

Bill

AndyT

Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:37 pm

Pink Floyd - Vera - Vera Lynn

michelew

Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:10 am

suziko wrote:
Shel,

I thought Suzi Q wasn't written by John Fogerty, though (I'm assuming you mean CCR by CCWR). And i'll have to look up who Suzi Quattro was. The name does not ring a bell!

Suzi - Yep - I meant CCR. But I looked it up and I'm completely wrong re: who Suzi Q is as:

"Susie Q" is a song by Louisiana-born singer and guitarist Dale Hawkins (1936-2010).[1] His version reached #27 in the U.S. pop chart in 1957.[2] He wrote the song himself, but when it was released, Stan Lewis, the owner of Jewel/Paula Records, and Eleanor Broadwater, the wife of Nashville DJ Gene Nobles, were also credited as co-writers to give them shares of the royalties.[3]"

Given the timing, it can't be Suzi Quatro.

Wikipeadia then goes on to say:

The song has been covered by numerous artists.

"Perhaps the most famous cover version is by Creedence Clearwater Revival on their debut album released in 1968. This song was one of their first big hits, and was the band's only Top 40 hit that was not written by John Fogerty, peaking at #11,[2] but made the top ten on some charts.[4]"

So who is Suzi Q? Wiki says - Suzie Q, Susie Q, or Suzy Q may refer to:
in music
Suzie Q (dance move), a dance step in the Big Apple, Lindy Hop, and other dances
"Doin' the Suzie-Q", 1936 song by Lil Hardin Armstrong
"Susie Q" (song), a 1956 song by Dale Hawkins, covered by The Astronauts, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Rolling Stones, The Namelosers, Uncle Tupelo and Gene Summers
Suzi Quatro, singer and actress also known as "Suzi Q"
"Suzi Q", song by Suzi Quatro from the 1990 album Oh, Suzi Q
"Suzie Q", song by American rapper Skillz from the 2005 album Confessions Of A Ghostwriter
"Suzie Q Sailaway", song by Self from the 1999 album Breakfast with Girls

I still don't know.

M.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic