Does music and playing get you through the tough times?

tovo

Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:31 pm

Hey everyone,

Had a pretty ordinary week. A friend left suddenly, well before her time. Not looking for sympathy, we all suffer loss, but sitting all day yesterday, playing and thinking made me feel better when I have been feeling pretty sad I gotta say.

I suspect that I am asking a question I already know the answer to and I've been told you shouldn't do that but what the heck:

Does music help get you through when life kicks you in the teeth?

Lavallee

Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:31 pm

Thanks Tony for another round of thoughts you are initiating. I am sorry for your lost but as you said music is there in good times and bad times. Having your guitar friend always available is just something fantastic.

I also lost someone recently (unfortunately as we get older, it seems to happen more often). Being able to play without having to discuss the difficult moments is a great help (maybe a guy thing). I always find that, after a tough day, playing guitar seems to flatten the peaks of the day and helps the thought process as you can look at the issues with a fresher mind. It gives this quiet moment of concentrating for fun on something else, similar to getting a pain killer when you really hurt your ankle.

Marc

sbutler

Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:01 pm

I too am very sorry for your loss.

The real Irony here is that I had a really crappy day today as well, (had to work today) and the first thing that I did when I got home tonight, was grab a cold beer (don't do that too often) grab my cute little Seagull, and turn on the computer. The very first thread I opened was this one.

So, these guitars must take us to a happier place when we need them too. You asked the question and I was feeling it at the same time. Got to be something to it.

Scott.

BigBear

Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:23 am

Tony- OMG! Yes!! Without the guitar and music I'm not sure I'd be here right now.

After my divorce, and living alone, I became really fond of single malt scotch (Macallen and The Glenlivet). Now that stuff is really expensive and It seems liked my bar bill was going thru the roof.

So I basically stopped drinking and the with money I saved I bought my first Taylor (a 710). But more importantly, I could play the guitar any time, anywhere and for me at least, it takes total, 100% concentration. I can't think of my troubles while I play. It was a fabulous replacement for drinking which didn't become a problem but was headed that direction.

It's so therapeutic and even if I play like crap I still feel better after I've played. No one in my family can understand why the guitar is so important (or even why I belong to this site). Doesn't matter, it's not for them to understand.

Playing the guitar is a deeply personal experience and I believe the reason we play it for others is to share what it does for us. But it's like learning a foreign language, for a long time it's going to be hard to express yourself so that others can understand.

BTW- I still drink single malt but its place in my life is much less important. Now the guitar is another story!!

Finally, I'm really sorry about your friend. That really hurts. I went through that a couple of years ago with a very good friend who was my age and a die hard runner. Came home from a run, collaped and never regained consciousness. No rhyme or reason sometimes.

tovo

Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:47 am

Hey, 3 really great responses..thanks. I just realised that by starting this thread I am probably asking people to write about stuff they may rather keep to themselves. That's cool but those of you willing to share..well I appreciate it.

willem

Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:54 am

Sorry for your lost,it happen all of us,,someone said to me years back,,''i never play when i feel sad or bad'', but i know it can set your mind off and works for me , but maybe we hide that thing that made you sad,,i one's had a car crash,,while thinkin on the lost i had,,so maybe it was better to put a cd on and concentrate on the drivin and music....

But that said,,when i play guitar i forget all the other things that i must!! do..

suziko

Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:07 am

Tony,

Like the others, I find playing hugely therapeutic. As was mentioned before, I think the main reason is that it gets me out of my head (and the constant drone of thoughts and worries) for a while. I practice yoga, and in the practice there's a lot of talk of "quieting your thoughts." You can try to do that with meditation, or chanting (and there are other ways in other practices), but for me, the absolute best way to get out of my head is playing guitar. The incessant worries and thought loops go away while I'm playing and I can just focus on what I'm doing. In fact, most of the time I feel like I'm not thinking at all. I'm just in a zone. It's nice.

ceaser67

Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:43 am

Hi Tony
I to am sorry to read about youre loss,i to lost a dear friend at work 5years ago,while fitting windows stevie fell from a ladder from a first floor flat,after trying to revive him for 30mins he died in my arms,stevie was only 39 years old and a single parent to a wonderful daughter,i like big bear hit the malt whisky and the odd litre of baileys irish cream to numb the pain,and i can honestly say from the bottom of my heart that my guitar was one of the few things that kept my sanity,i still to this day play some songs that stevie loved and rather than it being a sad event it brings a smile to my face when i think of him doing his stupid dance, drunk. singing along to me playing.so to answer youre question DEFO

Tommy

jcrocket

Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:48 am

Tony -

So sorry for your loss.

Like the others who have posted, I too get great therapeutic value from the guitar, and consider it a true blessing. It has helped me through the loss of my parents, the void left by my children growing up and leaving the nest, and the day-to-day stresses of my job.

I've noticed that, after a particularly stressful day, I'm more likely to just "lose myself" in playing - sitting there with no set agenda, just exploring different chord and rhythm combinations until I glance at the clock and see that hours have passed.

Tony, thanks for another thought-provoking topic. Hope you find this discussion to be therapeutic as well.

Jeff

lueders

Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:19 am

You've got another great thread going here Tovo. You're a real good inventor of those, Sir. This is one of those threads I wanted to mull over before I answered. I thought about for a while now...and I can't remember a time when playing wasn't therapeutic.

A.) It got me through some dark days when I was home & my father developed liver and kidney failure. (The man never drank in his life.) (Not to be morose) but he was essentially waiting to die. Can't tell you how much the guitar got me through then.
At the eleventh hour the hospital called with a liver first & then a kidney...

B.) My uncle (who was my godfather & one hell of a role model) He was the truest sense of the self-made man. Blue collar, street wise and he'd give ya the shirt off his back. He had a Neil Hogan mustache and a big grin. Died in his early fifties..heart attack. Playing basketball with some guys from work. At the time it made me think of that bumper sticker: "Eat right, Excercise, Die Anyway." Once again the guitar was most helpful!

I am sorry for those of you have lost someone...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic