What's wrong with holding the guitar like a baseball bat?

cavi

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:08 pm

Here is how I see it. In every formal training situation I have ever seen I have never seen anyone advocate the baseball grip as correct, a tecnique for certain things, maybe. It however is not a formal "correct " position of the thumb for the various reasons people have stated, but I feel mostly rreach and clarity of the other strings.
I have always been told that having the baseball thub is bieng lazy. I would agree that it is more difficult to use the thumb in the correct position especially if you have become acustome to the baseball grip. It will require retraining, but in the long run it will be helpful for you.
Now, if you are comfortable with the baseball thumb, will it harm you to continue? Probalbly not, but it might make things more diffuicult along the way, so why not just correct it now?
I am not trying to be pompus, just throwing out my feelings on the subject. When I was a teenager I used the baseball grip, I was told over and over to change but I was a teen so I was okay doing it "my way" , but now I truely feel that I need to correct sloppy ways, so I am taking the time to train myself correctly, I am getting there, not quite there yet....

wrench

Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:54 pm

I don't want to enter the debate between "To Grip or Not to Grip" because everyone who expressed an opinion plays to their preference for some conscious reason, and there are variables, such as the neck size and the position of the neck while playing. In the end, we all will play as we think we need to play.

I, for one, want to play un-injured primarily, and fundamentally correct secondarily. To me, that means position like this fellow. I did not find this on my own; this was a link from another TG'er, and I don't remember who at the moment, so thanks to whomever posted this link in the first place. I watch this video about every other day, and go to school on this young man's technique.

cavi

Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:30 pm

Beautiful tune. Great example of guitar positin for classical music!!! That is how I play most of the time, Just with the neck slightly lowe (my mistake, trying to correct it)
Seriously, beautiful tune, the kind of guitar playing I strive to do!!

frybaby

Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:58 pm

Holding the guitar like a baseball bat is like picking your nose with your middle finger, you can get the job done but it not the most effieient way. Just bad form

cavi

Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:22 am

Great , love it!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic