What's wrong with holding the guitar like a baseball bat?

Chasplaya

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:55 pm

Never played Baseball in my life but I get the drift, I reckon both ways of grip can be ok depending on the song being played; the straightness of the wrist can also be altered by the angle the neck is held at with the thumb behind the neck. UP high like classical, thumb behind and straight wrist no problem, folk style neck parallel to floor hm thumb needs to come over to avoid wrist strain otherwise you need to drop your shoulder and then that creates other ergonomic issues.

michelew

Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:22 pm

Being a woman I have smaller hands than the majority of you blokes. I find that lowering the thumb, especially on big stretches, allows me to maximise my reach and gives my fingers more freedom. They seem to have more independence. I play a classical and a steel string with neck widths of 50 mm and 45 mm at the nut respectively, so this might play into the equation too.

As it happens because I've adopted the classical position my wrist is pretty straight most of the time even though my thumb is lower. Perhaps you guys could experiment with raising the height of your neck. This also makes it easier to see what your doing and makes you feel more connected to the guitar.

I actually have trouble doing the thumb over the top trick and find it difficult to change into and out of. Often it is just laughably impossible (due I assume to my smaller hand span).

I notice I have trouble with my left hand when it is too tense and I've been using too much force. I don't think I've achieved finger pressure Nirvana yet, but the more force I use the more quickly my wrist and hand fatigues and the more problems I have. This is even true of barre chords; I'm trying to use enough pressure to let the notes ring cleanly without over-tensing my hand.

I realise that our circumstances are likely to be different (e.g. I have smaller hands and play a classical), but I find that the lower thumb works for me.

Michele

AndyT

Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:47 pm

Lets not forget that the thumb is connected to the hand in a more 'sideways' position and altering it too much from that can cause pain.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:52 am

I find using the Baseball grip really useful for so many songs I play especially when you have C F G chords involved, makes for fast changes and easy playing. A barred F sounds better than Baseball F but the Baseball F is faster. Otherwise, for barred chords, I use Neil's hand position. In fact, the baseball grip on a guitar seems much the more useful use than on a long stick to hit hard balls for no good reason in arguably the worlds most boring game after cricket! Now I've offended fans on both sides of trhe Atlantic (have to be fair!), I'll get back to slugging some F chords. :-)

willem

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:33 am

AndyT wrote:
[quote]Lets not forget that the thumb is connected to the hand in a more 'sideways' position and altering it too much from that can cause pain.[/quote

I quote Andy because i'm searching also to the most comfort way to hold barre and think i keep my thumb also a bit ''sideways''(but behind the neck) and i can better squeese the chord(like you squeese in a ball),i think i can set more pressure(in a comfort way) on the strings..i do have a little cap between my hand and neck, i think i have to made some picture's

Image Image

mark

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:38 am

I think the thumb behind the back of the neck has two advantages.

It makes doing streches easier.

Also if you have have the base ball grip and you need to go to a barre chord, the position of the hand has to change a lot.
If the thumb is already behind the neck there is a lot less movement required

willem

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:52 am

willem wrote:
AndyT wrote:
Lets not forget that the thumb is connected to the hand in a more 'sideways' position and altering it too much from that can cause pain.[/quote

I quote Andy because i'm searching also to the most comfort way to hold barre and think i keep my thumb also a bit ''sideways''(but behind the neck) and i can better squeese the chord(like you squeese in a ball),i think i can set more pressure(in a comfort way) on the strings..i do have a little cap between my hand and neck, i think i have to made some picture's

just click the other link for the other view..

wammer

Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:49 am

so I found this and thought geeeeeeeeee look at these guys and the grip they have but there seems to be no problem. I really liked this tune

willem

Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:11 pm

wammer wrote:
so I found this and thought geeeeeeeeee look at these guys and the grip they have but there seems to be no problem. I really liked this tune

It gripped me also..

fortdick

Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:00 pm

You notice, he brings his thumb over to play the F barre chord, using his pinky to get the B on thed fifth. I learned this way and am still trying to break the habit. Ya gotta have large hands to use your thumb like that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic