sound experience,,,,with temperature,,,,acoustic!!

willem

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:24 am

Sometimes i find that my guitar sounds bad(well not so bad) and i blame it on the temperature,,what experience do YOU have,,,

dennisg

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:32 am

I've found that humidity can affect the sound far more than the temperature. Too much or too little humidity can distort the wood by either drying it out of saturating it with moisture.

MarkM

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:35 am

Willem I agree with Dennis. I find that sometimes if the guitar is too dry it just doesn't sound as good. Far easier to blame the guiter than my playing ability. :laugh:

I try to keep my guitar at a RH level of 45%.

MarkM

willem

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:37 am

dennisg wrote:
I've found that humidity can affect the sound far more than the temperature. Too much or too little humidity can distort the wood by either drying it out of saturating it with moisture.

Dennis then i think this goes together with temperature (humidity)?,, is it better to have the guitar in a case??

dennisg

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:48 am

Humidity and temperature really have nothing to do with each other. You can have too much or too little humidity in either a warm or cold climate. In the winter, when it's cold and raining outside, you would think that the humidity would by high in your house, but it's usually the opposite because people tend to use heaters which severely dry the air.

Humidity isn't much of a problem in Seattle where I live because it rarely gets too humid. To answer your question, if humidity in your house is below 45 RH or above 55 RH, you need to control the humidity. You can check the humidity level by buying a cheap hygrometer. If you need to adjust the humidity, then you have two options: 1) Buy a humidifier that controls the humidity in an entire room, then close that room off to the rest of the house, or 2) keep the guitar in its case, and use some type of humidity control like the Planet Waves HumidPaks. Obviously, the second option is much, much cheaper.

I use the HumidPaks in the winter when I run the heater in my house and the air gets very dry.

Hope this helps.

willem

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:50 am

MarkM wrote:
Willem I agree with Dennis. I find that sometimes if the guitar is too dry it just doesn't sound as good. Far easier to blame the guiter than my playing ability. :laugh:

I try to keep my guitar at a RH level of 45%.

MarkM

This clears up Mark,, it is when it is to DRY...we must have a sort of humidity(not to dry), i thought in reverse..thanks

ps Maybe it is the same with the sound in the room then,,on this moment it sounds good to me and humidity is high(not so high)..

willem

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:58 am

dennisg wrote:
[quote]Humidity and temperature really have nothing to do with each other. You can have too much or too little humidity in either a warm or cold climate. In the winter, when it's cold and raining outside, you would think that the humidity would by high in your house, but it's usually the opposite because people tend to use heaters which severely dry the air.

Humidity isn't much of a problem in Seattle where I live because it rarely gets too humid. To answer your question, if humidity in your house is below 45 RH or above 55 RH, you need to control the humidity. You can check the humidity level by buying a cheap hygrometer. If you need to adjust the humidity, then you have two options: 1) Buy a humidifier that controls the humidity in an entire room, then close that room off to the rest of the house, or 2) keep the guitar in its case, and use some type of humidity control like the Planet Waves HumidPaks. Obviously, the second option is much, much cheaper.

I use the HumidPaks in the winter when I run the heater in my house and the air gets very dry.

Thanks Dennis,,it clears my mind, i whas alway's wondering, you solved that for me,,and i believe i have a hygrometer anywhere left from a ohter hobby,,,(tropical frog's)

dino2009

Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:05 pm

I think i would say different and not bad. If my guitar sounds/feels more dead i might play or attack the strings differently then if it was very resonant. If i hear too much i might start muting the strumming more.

But most of the time i'm too busy trying to learn something to even notice ... :)

I do have a room humdifier that i use during the winter months though.

willem

Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:11 pm

dino2009 wrote:
I think i would say different and not bad. If my guitar sounds/feels more dead i might play or attack the strings differently then if it was very resonant. If i hear too much i might start muting the strumming more.

But most of the time i'm too busy trying to learn something to even notice ... :)

I do have a room humdifier that i use during the winter months though.

Dino,,you spoke the word for me ''it sounded a kinda dead''

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic