On my wish list

TGMike

Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:07 pm

I have had only one acoustic guitar since 1978, a Guild D35nt. It is a pretty fair guitar, and I enjoy the sound and playing it. But now I seem to find myself dreaming of a new guitar. I went into a local guitar dealer's shop. I found two that have a high price, but they have some pretty sweet tones, and project well.

http://www.4shared.com/photo/Z-LWBYlH/IMG_0666.html

A Collings OM1

http://www.4shared.com/photo/UqjMpljU/IMG_0669.html

A Taylor 514 CE

michelew

Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:43 pm

Let's see you joined TG and now you have Guitar Acquisition Syndrome, it appears to be viral...

I had GAS bad until a sweet little Larrivee OMV-09 came knocking at my door and decided to stay. She is now my go to guitar.

That's a nice dream. I hope you can make one a reality. I know nothing about Collings guitars, but the Taylor looks like a beauty. I'd really like to try the cedar top. Make sure you keep up up to date on your search.

haoli25

Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:36 am

Wally, play as any guitars as you can. Don't fall for the hype or the sales pitch. When you find the right one for you, you will know it right away. If it is a little outside your budget, SAVE for it, don't settle for less. Nothing will make you a better guitar player faster than finding that guitar that you find hard to put down.

Bill

jayswett

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:56 am

Hard to imagine doing the wrong thing in buying the Taylor, but I agree with Bill. Play as many guitars as possible. If you have done that already and these two have risen to the top, I would seriously consider the Taylor. Your guitar skills would certainly justify paying for a high end guitar, and I look forward to seeing your first video with whatever you decide to buy.

tombo1230

Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:39 am

I've got to agree with what's been said already. If you don't want the Taylor I'll have it :) Just don't tell the missus :lol:

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:05 pm

Which guitar also depends on what you play and how you play, I.e. plugged or unplugged, if you play plugged then I'd go for the Taylor, unplugged the Collings will give you the bigger bottom end sound, that's the difference between Cedar and Spruce. Also some reckon you lose tone with a cutaway, I'm not convinced of that though so if you need to play up to and beyond 12 fret then again go for the Taylor.

As has been said don't limit yourself too much , play as many different guitars as humanly possible, if you play plugged take your own amp to try out also. Good luck but don't rush it if its big bucks being spent, just be sure it sounds and feels right to you

And I can't let the opportunity go , check out Cole Clark range if you can. The Angel series might be what you are looking for.

AndyT

Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:05 pm

Go for the Collings. Taylor coats them with a drug that makes you want more and more of them. How do you think they keep production moving? LOL

dekotaj

Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:05 pm

The Collings is made by a guy in Texas.And from what I've heard one heck of a well built guitar.I posted Pete Huntlinger playing With Leann Rimes,He is playing a Collings guitar in the first Video.But after hearing Mark,Tony and Dennis playing Taylor.I don't feel that would be a bad choice ether.But like Bill and Jay said,play them all,you will know when you find the one for you.

Kevin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic