Left hand position

linas

Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:54 am

Hello. :)

When I first picked the ukulele I even had problems holding it while playing. I then learned to hold the ukulele's neck deep in my palm and it was a very comfortable position for me to play open chords. However moving to barre chords from this position (or even E minor) is very difficult (involves throwing ukulele and catching it again :D).

So what is the proper left hand position? Thumb always stays in the back of the neck? But how do I keep the ukulele in place when I'm playing?

AndyT

Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:00 am

You hold it tight against your body with your right forearm and use a good left hand position. That's how its done here in Hawaii by more Uke players than I can count.

However, you might invest in a Uke strap.

mrmatt

Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:26 am

I've read the same advice from a bunch of sources, and it sounds straightforward enough, but I haven't been able to make it work. The thing is just too small and slippery so when I try to hold it with just my rignt forearm it just slides away while strumming. I'm squeezing tight enough to break the thing.

Maybe in Hawaii the uke sticks to your bare skin so it doesn't slide around? It's too cold around here for that so there's cotton between my body and the uke. The only thing I can do other than holding it up with the left hand is jamming it between my right thigh and forearm, but I can't hold that position for very long. :blink:

What am I missing? I'd be gtateful for any (kind) suggestions...

AndyT

Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:14 am

Try cradling it with your arm. Place it so that your forearm is supporting it and your hand stays within an inch or two of the soundhole. Use wrist action mostly to strum or pick. The left hand should not be supporting the weight of the uke. However, you can use the left hand to gently guide it into position.
You should be able to hold it in position standing up for long periods this way. (Or sitting)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic