How to justify your G.A.S. A self-help resource.

AcousticAl

Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:13 am

A funny convo in my iPad thread between Tony and MJ prompted this thread. GEAR ACQUISITION SYNDROME, and how we justify it to our significant others!! I'm definitely guilty of buying things that i know i don't need just because it's cool and MIGHT help my guitar playing.
But the real problem happens when we know we've gone over our spending limit for the month (or year?!)-- but we just have to have that (insert cool toy here) that we saw!! How do we get it, and justify it/ sneak it past you know who??

I actually think this thread might become a valuable resource for many on TG :laugh:
I'll start the ball rolling here--

I absolutely needed the Fender electric/acoustic that I play now- but it was close to $500!! I SOLD my Fender stratocaster and used the funds to pay for my new guitar, so there was no money out of pocket. I do regret selling it, but I play acoustic way more than I did electric. I would have liked to keep both- but that wasn't happening- especially since work was VERY SLOW for me at the time. Hard to justify for sure..

AcousticAl

Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:17 am

Another one for me was my Silent Guitar. I had the money for it, but you know the feeling when you KNOW you shouldn't be wasting more money on gear. I pushed the 'silent' part of the silent guitar- said I wouldn't have to be in a different part of the house to practice- and she wouldn't have to hear me as much!

We both love that guitar. :laugh:

BTW- as I've started singing with a few of my uploads, I'm thinking of getting a mic & mixer setup. HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!

Chasplaya

Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:32 pm

Mostly its not a problem, my Wife is an avid hobbyist with Tropical Fish and as such has F.T.A.S. = Fish Tank Acquisition Syndrome lol!! I just wait till she makes a new purchase and jump in quickly... 'If you can buy that well I can buy this ..."

To begin with many years ago I used the, 'Look dear you won't regret it, this new guitar will make me sound waaayyyy better...." That actually worked for 2 guitars...

Now I'm working on mics and saying, 'dear I've got to keep up with my friends on TG, They are all doing it!!..., Listen to this Canadian guy Al, If he can do it so can I, If I had a mic it would be so much better"

AcousticAl

Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:01 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
Mostly its not a problem, my Wife is an avid hobbyist with Tropical Fish and as such has F.T.A.S. = Fish Tank Acquisition Syndrome lol!! I just wait till she makes a new purchase and jump in quickly... 'If you can buy that well I can buy this ..."

To begin with many years ago I used the, 'Look dear you won't regret it, this new guitar will make me sound waaayyyy better...." That actually worked for 2 guitars...

Now I'm working on mics and saying, 'dear I've got to keep up with my friends on TG, They are all doing it!!..., Listen to this Canadian guy Al, If he can do it so can I, If I had a mic it would be so much better"

Excellent, Chas. You covered a few NEW cards to play.

-"You bought something, so I'm getting something"
-"He's got it, so I need it" and
-"It will really help my playing improve"

tovo

Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:31 pm

Looking for new cards to play eh?

I have one of those magical cards that beats every other in the pack. It's not an easy card to get hold of, but it's powerful and it's possible to spend your whole life searching for it. Here's my secret:

I married an angel.

She doesn't complain about my purchases, she doesn't ask how much I spent, she just smiles and says "if it makes you happy then I'm happy". She doesn't understand why THIS Taylor is so much better than the last, she doesn't understand why I NEED the iPad, the silent guitar, the microphone and stand etc, etc, etc. She just accepts it. She doesn't spend a lot of money herself and makes no "revenge purchases".

She didn't ask me how much my Taylor cost. Like the US Military, we have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. I think she's scared to ask, she knows that my internal radar directs me to the most expensive item in any shop.

So...get yourself an angel and your problems are solved. Oh...and buy a new couch every so often.

TGMatt

Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:07 pm

I can see a 12 step GAS anonymous program coming along soon..

"It has been 3 weeks since my last aquisition" (yep 3 full weeks for me,but I have plans to change that this week with Neil)

pbraun

Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:51 pm

I am lucky to have the same angel type wife as Tony, whether it's guitar stuff or tools she just nods and smile, and like Tony I need to do the same with her things!
Pete

Music Junkie

Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:58 pm

I jest a lot about this topic, but I am very lucky as well. My wife is very supportive and rarely gives me a bad time. To be honest, I think I try to justify it to myself more than her...... :P :P

J

Chasplaya

Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:53 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
I jest a lot about this topic, but I am very lucky as well. My wife is very supportive and rarely gives me a bad time. To be honest, I think I try to justify it to myself more than her...... :P :P

J
I also jest slightly on this issue, my Wife is very supportive and in fact was instrumental in three of my Guitar choices; my Alhambra which she said sounded much nicer than the Martin I was trying out, and even went to the length of searching out the best shop in Auckland, if not NZ for acoustic instruments on my behalf. She also accompanied me when I bought my Epiphone Riviera Elite, and the deciding factor was when she exclaimed what a beautiful guitar and also what a bargain! And finally when I bought my Cole Clark, I was looking for an Acoustic/Electric and hey I'll concede Taylor's were on the menu, but again she exclaimed the Cole sounded so much nicer than the Taylor's. I'm currently searching out wireless senders for guitars and also mics etc, she is actively encouraging me in this for two reasons , with the wireless units I can play anywhere in the house and not be cut off from the rest of the household and secondly she is actively encouraging me to sing along as she reckons some songs are meaningless without vocals. SO I guess I'm like Tony and have an angel also, we actually have a running joke between us about who is going to make the next purchase. Recently she acquired a secondhand tank for $70 (worth $400) I built a Rimu cabinet round it cost about $50 for the Rimu I bought from a recyclers about 10years ago today's value maybe $150 plus all the fittings another $70. So she has a new tank for all up cost of $190 and she has told me if can find a Clapton Strat (Blackie signature) for equivalent amount I can have it lol!!!

ceaser67

Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:16 pm

this is getting like
my wife reads the forum also lol

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic