DADDAD tuning with larger gauge 3rd string?

Hydroman52

Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:37 pm

Has anyone ever heard of a person replacing the 3rd string with a larger gauge string (same gauge as the 4th string) in the DADDAD tuning? Is this weird or common?

More for those who have the time . . . . . . .

I was exploring the 4 + 20 lesson with the DADDAD (D5/D modal) tuning where the 3rd string is tuned down a perfect 4th (5 half steps). Neil comments on the how loose the 3rd string becomes. Imagine this as chocolate.

Then I was fooling around with alternate tunings and came across the Nashville tuning where the lower four strings (3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th) are replaced with lighter gauge strings and these strings are then tuned up an octave higher than standard tuning in order to emulate a 12-string sound on a 6-string guitar. Think of this as peanut butter.

Now to mix the peanut butter AND chocolate . . . . . . and . . . . . could a person replace the 3rd string in DADDAD with one the same gauge as the 4th string? When tuned the same as the 4th, it wouldn’t be as loose and would, theoretically, have the same tension and tone as the 4th?

I can see advantages and disadvantages to this.

Advantages:

1. 3rd and 4th strings are identical and should sound more alike. Isn’t that what we are trying to accomplish?
2. 3rd string doesn’t have the slack in it and is easier to tune and keep in tune with less potential fret buzz (unless fret buzz is desirable).

Disadvantages:

1. The 3rd string nut slot may need to be altered to fit a thicker string.
2. If you have only one guitar, you wouldn’t want to limit yourself to this as you would have to change the 3rd string back to a standard gauge in order to tune back up to play in standard tuning. That would be a hassle.
3. You would have to get some spare strings, sacrifice a full set, or use a string from an old set to provide the replacement string.
4. If you space out and forget about it, or someone decides it needs to be tuned to standard tuning without checking, it could cause damage as the 3rd string would be tuned 5 half steps higher than it is meant to be in order to reach G. This would be my biggest fear.

Any other thoughts and opinions? This has most likely been done before, but is it a stupid idea?

A few other thoughts:

Perhaps one of those artists that have a zillion guitars on stage and picks up a specific guitar for a specific song has done this?
I have plenty of guitars, so tying up one for a special purpose is not an issue.
Before I’d do this, I would talk with my luthier for opinions.
I am finding more songs that utilize or could utilize the DADDAD tuning such as this one:

A song in DADDAD tuning

BigBear

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:48 am

I've never seen anyone go to the effort to replace any particular string for altered tunings. I suppose this is because most people don't have the luxury of leaving their guitar(s) in a modal tuning so they go back and forth.

That being said, I think the only limiting factor on these tunings is your imagination. If you lookup altered tunings there are literally dozens, maybe hundreds. If you csn fingure out the chords you can do anything you can dream up.

I love this DADDAD tuning but I sure don't find many songs that use it apart from C,S,N & Y. I'm sure there are a few others but it doesn't seem to be as popular as the "dropped" tunings and others like DADGAD which is very similar.

I really like the fact that you can't make a mistake. If you finger the chords properly it will sound fine regardless of which notes you hit.

So, have blast with these and let us know if you discover anything revolutionary! :cheer:

Lavallee

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:38 pm

Rick, didn't Roger McGuinn from the Byrds, you saw in a show, used to replace the 3rd string to give the simili 12 string sound (I think it was in regular tuning though)?

Marc

beaker

Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Hydroman, I don't have any thoughts regarding the changing of strings. but thanks for that link to Daniel Champagne. His playing is really cool. I saw him this summer at the Vancouver folk fest. Beaker.

BigBear

Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:31 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Rick, didn't Roger McGuinn from the Byrds, you saw in a show, used to replace the 3rd string to give the simili 12 string sound (I think it was in regular tuning though)?

Marc

Marc- excellent point but now he plays a 7 string, custom made Martin with the 3rd string doubled up. It looks really weird but it sounds cool. But Roger McQuinn could make most anything sound cool! lol!

Lavallee

Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:49 pm

You are right Rick, it was a seventh strings, it sure sounds good when he plays

Marc

Hydroman52

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:38 pm

Thanks for the info on McGuinn. Didn't know that. I guess it isn't too dumb of an idea after all. Maybe I will explore further.

MindAsh

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:01 am

ive actually done this because i stay in daddad pretty much all the time because due to a wrist injury that severed some nerves and tendons in my fret hand has made playing in standard very inefficient so i discovered dadad from a friend and also from being a fan of days of the new a band that comes on stage with 6-7 taylor guitars all tuned differently lol. but hell if anyones curious feel free to check out my music page, every song recorded here is recorded on the fly and almost strictly in daddad, the one exception is the song titled mystic which is a work in progress and the only song i do vocals for and a friend overlayed some drums to it using a computer program. well heres the link and i hope you take the time to check these out and enjoy http://www.myspace.com/491962774

on a side note, the last 2 songs on the list are prob my most polished works , both still were created on the spot but time honored death has little to none of my usual rough spots to it. thanks again and enjoy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic