Let's talk cables - getting the signal from your acoustic / electric to your computer - what's best?

michelew

Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:09 am

Hi everyone,

This is probably a repeat question, in fact I'm sure I read a similar one recently...

Today I went into my local music store looking for a cable for my acoustic/electric with a USB plug on one end that would allow me to plug it straight into my iMac and record into garageband or iMovie. I've seen them on eBay for $AU45 - Alesis GuitarLink Series 1/4" Jack to USB Cable. Someone on TG, I forget who, suggested it recently. The cable has the following blurb and spec.s:

GuitarLink makes it easy to direct-connect nearly any guitar, bass, or other line-level audio source to USB for mono recording. The AudioLink Series USB-audio cable outputs studio quality 16-bit, 44.1 kHz digital audio thanks to its internal analog-to-digital conversion system. GuitarLink connects plug-and-play to your Mac or PC for an all-in-one USB audio solution.

But, I was told that the store did not stock them and that they were crap to boot. Instead they offered me a thing called a "Steal Plug" at $179, which has the following spec.s and blurb:

About IK Multimedia StealthPlug
StealthPlug™ is the first compact 1/4” jack to USB audio interface cable for Guitar and Bass players to plug into the world of software-based amp/effects modeling and recording. It comes bundled with 7 software and content packages: 2 guitar and bass standalone and plug-in solutions, a full recording studio, 2 effects and instrument plug-ins and loads of ready to use sounds and loops. Portable and easy to use, StealthPlug is the perfect solution for recording, practicing, and playing your guitar or bass, anytime or anywhere.

Specifications
Includes IK Multimedia Software Bundle
2,5m cable with integrated audio interface
1/4” jack input & 1/8” mini-jack headphone output
USB 1.0/2.0 connector with activity LED
Volume UP/DOWN buttons
USB bus powered
16 bit A/D -D/A converter
44KHz/48KHz Sampling Frequency
Ultra-low latency ASIO and Core Audio Drivers
Hi-Z direct Guitar and Bass-IN (suitable for any instrument with line out also)

Has anyone had experience using these? What do I really need? I suspect that I'm not going to use the functionality of the Stealth Plug as I really just want to capture the sound of my guitar, not vary it. Simple is good, but I don't want to just get the cheap one if the sound quality is poor.

Michele

RicksPick

Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:01 am

Hi Michele

Hot topic

Something I'm concidering is:
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCG102.aspx
Looks straight forward, only managed to find one acoustic video most are electric
But it sounded ok.

RicksPick

AcousticAl

Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:07 am

I record mic-in to my computer using a 1/4" to stereo mini plug. It works ok- but one thing that I've noticed with this setup is you totally lose the acoustic in your acoustic/electric. That's another reason I'm looking at getting an external mic-- I'll try to mix the room sound with the direct line to the computer. This might make it sound warmer & less electric.

michelew

Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:41 pm

Thanks guys.

Rick - thanks for the suggestion.I haven't seen the Behringer before, but it looks very similar to the stealth plug. If you get it I'd be interested in hearing a review.

Al - Thanks for the mic-in tip. I current use a Blue Snow Ball for recording, which Is better than the mic built into my Mac. I was hoping to get crisper and richer sound by tapping into the electric component of my Larrivee. Maybe it will sound like an electric guitar if I do that not an acoustic amplified, I'll find out once I purchase/use one of the four options I have now.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic