Today is the Day

heatndude

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:17 am

Today is the day I get to tour the Gibson factory in Memphis. Sorry folks im a little excited to see this ! Hopefully get some good barbecue somewhere also. Any members near the Memphis area that can give me some pointers for food and entertainment. Maybe meet up and Jam a little ?

Mark

Hydroman52

Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:53 pm

Hey heatndude,

Glad to see you haven't forgotten about us here. Hope you haven't forgotten your camera and don't forget to post the photos when you get a chance.

Hydroman52

wiley

Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:09 pm

I've been to Tunica, Mississippi, around 60 miles south of Memphis, for several Poker Tournaments, and of course, that 60 miles is easy driving. One thing, be sure if you don't have a GPS to get really good directions, the roads tend to melt into each other. 51 ties into 79 and 71, etc, etc..

Central BBQ - 2249 Central Avenue, not too far East (I believe it's east) off I79 south of the zoo. Try the dry ribs dude! Rendezvous Restaurant is more famous, I've had both, Central wins this one.

The Peabody Ducks at the Peabody Hotel. They walk the ducks down from the Penthouse into the elevator and into the fountain in the morning, then back up again in the evening. All to a band playing Souza's King Mountain March.

Beale Street, Downtown, for da Blues man! I'm not sure about weekdays, but on the weekends you just need walk the street. BB King's Original is there along with many others. They advertise 25 shops and bars, I think I remember more than that.

Don't tell me you're not gonna do Graceland! Everybody does Graceland. You HAVE to do Graceland! I don't think they let you out of the city, much less the State if you go to Memphis and don't do Graceland!

And I hope you didn't buy that "Doves in Flight". Prettiest Guitar I've ever layed eyes on. At least not for either retail ($7,300us) or street (+/- $6,000us). The have a used one, in excellent/perfect shape, around the corner here for $3,500!

heatndude

Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:24 pm

Hi Guys, we did Graceland of course, tried Wileys pick for BBQ. Good choice Wiley ! be ale street is way cool, blues everywhere turn live ! The highlight was the Gibson factory tour which took about an hour, they truly build all the instruments by hand. They make about 40 guitars a day all hollow and semi hollow body guitars. Towards the end of the tour they took us to the custom shop, there were only four of us on the tour. They were making 10 Lucille guitars and the man himself was there to test them before they got sold. So the four of us got to meet and listen to BB King for about a hour and a half. Talk about a lesson in Blues WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BB King is a very nice man very genteleman like if that makes sense. They would not allow any photographs or recording at all. BB king actually threw out two of guitars because they did not meet his standards, I asked if I could take one of them but NOPE they made sawdust out of them. Then to top it off we went to see Tommy Emanual live in a little theatre on Beale Street. It has been a busy few days so when I get a chance I will post the pictures I do have!

PS Does anyone know how BB King named his guitar Lucille, I do because I asked him. Good trivia question !

Mark

Chasplaya

Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:48 pm

heatndude wrote:

PS Does anyone know how BB King named his guitar Lucille, I do because I asked him. Good trivia question !

Mark
Cos BB went a bit 'nuts' going back into a burning building to rescue his guitar, the building went on fire after a domestic/fight/argument between a couple of 'gents' about a lady named Lucille. Lucille is not just one guitar but the name he has handed onto whichever guitar is his current one, the original one was actually red not black and is now in a museum, I posted this in the old Guess A GUitar competition I used to run.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/community ... otoid=1299

wiley

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:58 pm

Now THAT's a trip, in more ways than one!

heatndude

Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:23 am

Thats right Chas. I thought I was the only one that had that info. hehe Yes Wiley it has been a great adventure so far we are headed to the Shenandoa Valley area in Virginia today should be around Staunton Virginia this afternoon, maybe find some Bluegrass music ?

Mark

neverfoundthetime

Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:36 am

Sounds like a great trip Mark, Gibson, B King and Tommy Emanuel in one day! Love to hear more.

heatndude

Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:09 pm

The best would be BB & Tommy in the same room ! We just arrived in the Shenandoa Valley, Virginia. Long drive across Tennessee. Looking forward to a local Lounge that has local talent every evening kinda like a open jam. Eveything from blue grass to rock & roll, I plan to take my guitar with and if I feel comfortable I might join them ! I'll let ya know how it goes. As for Tovo question about the south liking the North etc... They are very welcoming and friendly folks even if we are from the Yankee side of the Mason Dixon line.

Mark

willem

Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:32 pm

Hope you have a great vacation and let us al know ,have you had any jam already??

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic