Micro BR and 'Angie' demo by AcousticAl

Lavallee

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:43 pm

Unfortunately, I cannot put an external microphone on the camera I have because their thing is the sound (it has 2 expetrnal microphone , but they are integrated in the camera. The problem is that they are veru directional. So I will try over the weekend to put the amplifier at the level of the camera instead of behind me. If it doers not work better, I will look at the Kodak which I wanted to buy originally, but it was not ready.

Doing the sequence of mixing is not a problem, I have not consider it yet because I am a little lazy and I am dealing with technical stuff all week. I have the tendency to back to stone age during the weekend (raw meat and all). But I like to have a good sound and if the Micro BR is the ticket at a decent price, I will have to take action.

Thanks for your suggestions

Marc

AcousticAl

Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:44 am

Lavallee wrote:
Unfortunately, I cannot put an external microphone on the camera I have because their thing is the sound (it has 2 expetrnal microphone , but they are integrated in the camera. The problem is that they are veru directional. So I will try over the weekend to put the amplifier at the level of the camera instead of behind me. If it doers not work better, I will look at the Kodak which I wanted to buy originally, but it was not ready.

Doing the sequence of mixing is not a problem, I have not consider it yet because I am a little lazy and I am dealing with technical stuff all week. I have the tendency to back to stone age during the weekend (raw meat and all). But I like to have a good sound and if the Micro BR is the ticket at a decent price, I will have to take action.

Thanks for your suggestions

Marc

Stone age GOOD! Raw meat GOOD!! Fun gizmos we don't really need GOOD!!!

dennisg

Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:27 am

Lavallee wrote:
The sound from my camera is not so great as I cannot put the amplifier close enough and sounds muted. I will just play kazoo on the other track . Your recording really sounds professional

Marc
Marc,

Does your amp have line outputs? If so, you can run them directly to your camera, assuming your camera has a jack for an external mic.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:29 pm

Thanks for doing these informative videos Al. Very helpful. Hey, I remember that guy, Helpful Al from way back when... glad to see he's still with us. I also hope you don't get too helpful, as that would mean work is too slow!! ;-) Good man Al!

Oh, by the way, Audacity which is free off the web, does very nicely as a multi track recording studio, easy to record mix, add multi tracks etc all for free. Recommend it!

AcousticAl

Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:36 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Thanks for doing these informative videos Al. Very helpful. Hey, I remember that guy, Helpful Al from way back when... glad to see he's still with us. I also hope you don't get too helpful, as that would mean work is too slow!! ;-) Good man Al!

Oh, by the way, Audacity which is free off the web, does very nicely as a multi track recording studio, easy to record mix, add multi tracks etc all for free. Recommend it!

'Helpful Al' is always here. Sometimes you're just unaware of the good work he does behind the scenes. :laugh:

Reminds me of a J.T. song...
"Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall... All you gotta do is call..."

To answer your other question- I am slow right now- but riding a wave of work/invoices from the summer so it's all good.

Lavallee

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:37 pm

dennisg wrote:
Lavallee wrote:
The sound from my camera is not so great as I cannot put the amplifier close enough and sounds muted. I will just play kazoo on the other track . Your recording really sounds professional

Marc
Marc,

Does your amp have line outputs? If so, you can run them directly to your camera, assuming your camera has a jack for an external mic.
Thanks Dennis, that is a good idea but the camera does not have input for external mic. I sure regret not to have wait for the Kodak camera like you are using.

Marc

wiley

Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:48 pm

If anything, I've underused mine. The thing does eat batteries, if you buy one be sure to add the power adapter for around $20. You'll get about 2 hours (mono) from 2AA batteries. They come with a 128mb SD card, and I have found the ONLY card they will take (up to 2gb) is the SanDisk. I had a new Panasonic 1gb laying around, got an error reading "Format not recognized". While the manual mentions a capability of only 1gb, the 2gb cards are written in the same 'format' while anything above 2gb is written in SD-HD. It's probably due to the fact the technology when the BR came out. One thing I have experienced with Boss/Roland is they tend to not upgrade their products.

There's also a Stereo microphone available that plugs directly into the BR. Around $70us. Only problem with the mic is finding a stereo capable extension cable so the mic can be stand or remotely used. I looked for a bit, then gave up and haven't tried to find one again. So, unless I can find something to do this, the external mic is right there, plugged into the side of the BR.

So, $199 for the BR, $20 for the power pack, $80 for the stereo mic, and $8 for the 2gb card. Around $310us (no tax). You now have a 32 track home (or portable) recording system.

Al, I don't remember if the USB (mini-b jack on the BR) cable came with the BR or not?? I seem to remember it was purchased separately. Either way, I think it was no more than $3us for a six foot cable.

AcousticAl

Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:37 pm

wiley wrote:
If anything, I've underused mine. The thing does eat batteries, if you buy one be sure to add the power adapter for around $20. You'll get about 2 hours (mono) from 2AA batteries. They come with a 128mb SD card, and I have found the ONLY card they will take (up to 2gb) is the SanDisk. I had a new Panasonic 1gb laying around, got an error reading "Format not recognized". While the manual mentions a capability of only 1gb, the 2gb cards are written in the same 'format' while anything above 2gb is written in SD-HD. It's probably due to the fact the technology when the BR came out. One thing I have experienced with Boss/Roland is they tend to not upgrade their products.

There's also a Stereo microphone available that plugs directly into the BR. Around $70us. Only problem with the mic is finding a stereo capable extension cable so the mic can be stand or remotely used. I looked for a bit, then gave up and haven't tried to find one again. So, unless I can find something to do this, the external mic is right there, plugged into the side of the BR.

So, $199 for the BR, $20 for the power pack, $80 for the stereo mic, and $8 for the 2gb card. Around $310us (no tax). You now have a 32 track home (or portable) recording system.

Al, I don't remember if the USB (mini-b jack on the BR) cable came with the BR or not?? I seem to remember it was purchased separately. Either way, I think it was no more than $3us for a six foot cable.

They DO eat batteries. I got around this in the beginning by using rechargables- but it's so worth getting the power supply.

I haven't really used it with an external microphone yet- but I read it does have phantom power option, which is good.

**Edit- The 2 gig card I have in mine is a Verbatim. Works well too.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic