Refreting my guitar

RicksPick

Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:50 am

Hi folks

Im going to refret my trusty old guitar
Its had ? 2 previous owners and is at least 18 years old
Its a cheep guitar but I dont want to ruin it, but the buzz ruins the pleasure and sound.

So far I have the new frets and a pair of speciality pulling pliers,already had needle files, I love tools LOL, hammers next on the list should arrive early next week,Then To start the refurb.
I will post pictures and maybe a video.

Anyone done this before?? any advice?? I have instructions but I bet It wont be straight forward.

RicksPick

AndyT

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:00 am

Nope, never done it. But I have a guitar that needs one new fret. Take lots of good closeup shots so I can see how hard it's likely to be. Depending on cost and difficulty, I might just have it done by my luthier.

MarkM

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 am

Rickspick,

We'll I've never refretted a guitar before. Interesting job for sure. You mentioned that you are getting alot of buzzing. Before taking on this job I would check a few things first. Namely the neck angle and the overall humidity of the guitar. Enclosed are a few URLs that may help. It's much easier to adjust the truss rod then refret. Although if your frets are really worn you'll probably want to switch them out.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/global/pdf ... Guitar.pdf

http://www.taylorguitars.com/global/pdf ... stment.pdf

MarkM

haoli25

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:42 am

Rick, I just had this done with with one of my guitars. I had seven frets replaced. That's what I get for practicing 'bends' on an acoustic...flatened frets :) Make sure you have the correct size frets before you begin. I didn't know until I took my guitar in to the luthier that even Taylor uses several different size frets on their different models.

Bill

willem

Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:46 am

Hey Rick,intresting to do,,buzzing??is that always?? did you ask your self if your luthier can give it a look and maybe its only a new setup(adjustment)(cost here,,50 euro's),,like Bill say's do you have the right size frets,,i must say its not so difficult with the right tools,but you say you want ruin it..

thereshopeyet

Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:51 am

Thanks

RicksPick

Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 pm

Thanks for the comments and links

I am sure it is the frets,the buzz is only over the worn ones, 1st and 2nd srings, 2 n 3 frets, 1st and 4th ring fine.
Any money saved will be going towards GAS lol
I will check the links for more info.
If all goes wrong then It will go to a luthier, but i feel comfident at the moment.

RicksPick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic