Unusual Gift

BobR

Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:22 pm

Happy Birthday Chas!!!!,

I am sure you'll put those nice new picks to the test.

Bob

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:28 pm

Thanks to all for the Birthday wishes, between the picks from Jill a little self indulgence on my part and you responses , I bought a new case for my Cole Clark, its been a great weekend so far.

lmc831

Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:40 pm

Happy Birthday Chas,
Those guitar picks are really nice!! What a great gift!

Lisa

BigBear

Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:57 pm

What a cool gift!! Jill must be an amazing woman!! Now if she'd just buy you that fancy Taylor you've been secretly yearning for....

:silly: :cheer:

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:10 pm

BigBear wrote:
What a cool gift!! Jill must be an amazing woman!! Now if she'd just buy you that fancy Taylor you've been secretly yearning for....

:silly: :cheer:
She is an amazing lady mate, I'm so lucky. Dunno about that Taylor though... I don't think Taylor's would fit my Cole Clark case lol

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:11 pm

lmc831 wrote:
Happy Birthday Chas,
Those guitar picks are really nice!! What a great gift!

Lisa
Thanks Lisa, they are great aren't they, quite a unique gift, the Agate one in particular plays very well.

AcousticAl

Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:14 pm

Happy belated, Chas.

Cool idea for a present. Was talking to Tammy about how expensive picks can get-- assuming those are a pretty penny!!

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:27 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
Happy belated, Chas.

Cool idea for a present. Was talking to Tammy about how expensive picks can get-- assuming those are a pretty penny!!
In NZ they are $30.00 each about $25.00 Canadian.

But price is relative to each Countries cost of living etc. so not easy to draw price comparison

cosmicmechanic

Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:36 pm

Happy B-Day, Chas !

Maybe this is in bad taste (of course it is ;) ), but if you swallowed one of these picks by accident (pick in mouth, etc), would you try to somehow recuperate them ?

... just wondering.

TGMatt

Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:41 pm

Happy birthday mate ...

The Chinese love jade because of not only its beauty, but also more importantly its culture, meaning and humanity, as Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC) said there are 11 De (virtue) in jade. The following is the translation (don't know the translator):

'The wise have likened jade to virtue. For them, its polish and brilliancy represent the whole of purity; its perfect compactness and extreme hardness represent the sureness of intelligence; its angles, which do not cut, although they seem sharp, represent justice; the pure and prolonged sound, which it gives forth when one strikes it, represents music. Its color represents loyalty; its interior flaws, always showing themselves through the transparency, call to mind sincerity; its iridescent brightness represents heaven; its admirable substance, born of mountain and of water, represents the earth. Used alone without ornamentation it represents chastity. The price that the entire world attaches to it represents the truth. To support these comparisons, the Book of Verse says: "When I think of a wise man, his merits appear to be like jade."'

Thus jade is really special in Chinese culture, also as the Chinese saying goes "Gold has a value; jade is invaluable."

Because jade stands for beauty, grace and purity, it has been used in many Chinese idioms or phrases to denote beautiful things or people, such as Yu Jie Bing Qing (pure and noble), Ting Ting Yu Li (fair, slim and graceful) and Yu Nv (beautiful girl). The Chinese character Yu is often used in Chinese names.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic