Visit to my favourite guitar shop

thedancer

Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:23 pm

Thouroughly enjoyed your film. I also have a favourate guitar shop that stocks all sorts of vintage guitars . I just love looking at them. and thanks to this site I will be playing like you one day. Ive had my guitar for two years now and I was in a rut just playing the same six chords. And since I joined this site ten days ago I cant wait to pick up my guitar and practice. I can feel the benifit of structured learning and lots and lots of daily practice.
Keep filming
Dancer

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:42 am

Thanks for dropping in David (waggis). I don't know of a good guitar shop in Basel either, Maybe they have a Jeklin or Musik Hug, they will have a good selection but not a great selection like Die Gittare.

Happy to hear you are enjoying your progress Dancer. Enjoy the ride!

Dan (wrench) thanks for all you inputs. It was due to a PM with Dan that I decided to record the guitars I was looking at. Dan has been researching guitar makes and testing the sound of all the guitars he could get his hands on. When he told me he can analyse a recording too, I thought I'd see if my take on a guitar gelled with his analysis. It did, big time. So it was fun to find out that my ear is telling me the right things. Thanks Dan, that was a lot of fun!

jayswett

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:18 am

I thoroughly enjoyed that video. It took me back to the five months I lived in Germany back in 2002. Two observations:

1) All of those guitars sounded great. My ear is not discerning enough to pick out differences in sound between a dreadnought and a jumbo.

2) That guitar shop owner demonstrated perfect hand position.

Thanks for posting that.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:27 am

Thanks for dropping by Jay. I'm sure the vid did bring back memories of Europe for you.
If you pick up the Dred and then the jumbo, you notice the jumbo also has a big sound and deep bass but the mid and high tones sound better on a dred, at least that's the way it appeared to me. Also the bass on the jumbo seem a little deader or more dumpf as I wanted to say... before I realised it's probably not a real word in any language! ;-) Dan Wrench can give you the gen if you are interested in the difference ... just PM him. After all that testing, I keep coming back to the BSG D27SF Rosewood.

BigBear

Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:57 pm

Chris- Fantastisch! Ein schöner Herbsttag in der Schweiz. Sehr angenehm!

Thanks for reminding me why I love Europe in the fall!! :cheer:

neverfoundthetime

Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:29 pm

Stimmt! Es ist so schön hier im Herbst. Glad you took the trip too Rick. ;-)

wrench

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:01 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Thanks for dropping by Jay. I'm sure the vid did bring back memories of Europe for you.
If you pick up the Dred and then the jumbo, you notice the jumbo also has a big sound and deep bass but the mid and high tones sound better on a dred, at least that's the way it appeared to me. Also the bass on the jumbo seem a little deader or more dumpf as I wanted to say... before I realised it's probably not a real word in any language! ;-) Dan Wrench can give you the gen if you are interested in the difference ... just PM him. After all that testing, I keep coming back to the BSG D27SF Rosewood.
I had a blast working with Chris on his analysis of the guitars he was shopping for. I love to learn about the science of guitars, and I learned some valuable new stuff over the course of this exercise.

One of the things I confirmed, more than learned, is how amazingly perceptive the human senses are. Chris described to me how he perceived each of these guitars, and the technology did nothing more than confirm and quantify his observations. The technology, by the way, was rare and expensive some years ago, but is readily available and free to all of us now in the Analyze functions of the Audacity software.

On the general subject of analyzing guitar sound, I offer this advice. If you are insatiably curious and/or shopping for guitars, then analysis is a fantastic tool. It can identify what it is about certain guitars that you do or do not like. If however, you already have guitars you like, then you really need to know no more. Pursuing further analysis may tell you something you neither need nor want to know.

This really was fun. Thanks again, Chris.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic