Tab for Whole Lotta Love

TGNeil

Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:17 pm

Hi Gang,

We received a comment recently about missing attachments for Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love and I thought I'd like to address it generally rather than specifically. This is a lesson I do with students generally without writing anything down in the interest of getting them to branch out in their learning techniques. It is a good example of a riff that is relatively easy to play and the exercise of learning by listening and watching is a valuable tool.

As I'm sure you know, my goal with every song is to make it a useful learning experience that can be applied to many other situations, not just to be a part of a transcription service. In the Whole Lotta Love lesson the fact that there is no tab is mentioned in the first minute or so, including the logic. As a matter of fact, I am starting to think there are not enough lessons done in this manner and I might have to do more with this approach in the near future.

Thoughts and comments?

Neil

haoli25

Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:27 pm

Neil,

I'm sure it won't be popular, but I would like to see more of the 'minimal lessons'. On many songs, 'note for note' just seems unnecessary to me. I think the challenge of figuring some things out for yourself makes you a better guitar player.

just my 1 cents worth,

Bill

TGMatt

Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:29 pm

1 cents ??...Your way to cheap Bill...

haoli25

Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:30 pm

...and superficial too!! :laugh:

Bill

TGMatt

Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:41 pm

Don't forget easy ... ;)

haoli25

Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:43 pm

Goes without saying. :) And too damned old to change now. :)

tovo

Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:05 pm

I have only dipped my little toe into the pool of transcribing. So it is a daunting subject for me. I generally try to figure out the tune by following the video, and use the TAB and sheets for backup if I can't follow what is happening.

I trust that there is method in Neil's lessons and wouldn't be too worried if TAB were not included for the reasons explained.

wrench

Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:29 pm

I think you will get mixed responses to this idea based on skill levels. The idea doesn't bother me at all now, but seven or eight months ago, I probably would panic at the idea. Somewhere along the difficulty scale, the law of diminishing returns will kick in. For example, I have taken some simple samples, such as the Lennon tune you played in last week's news, and I was able to easily finish the piece to playable quality. Hector's Romeo and Juliet, however, is a piece I had been working on for months from a YouTube video, and the result was correct but simplistic, and I realize just how simple on seeing Hector's lesson! As the complexity ramps up, most of us will need some help at some point, but this is a moving target (no pun intended) for you.

Bottom line - doesn't bother me at all, but I think it will scare newer members.

snipe

Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:34 pm

Id rather watch somebody do it anyway. Easier that way for me!

Mike

lmc831

Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:19 pm

As for me, I would have a hard time trying to transcribe anything on my own. Sorry, but I am not that accomplished in having an "ear for music" so to speak. I have to see the music tabbed out in order to learn...

Lisa

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic