Tab for Whole Lotta Love

Chasplaya

Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:27 pm

For my 2 cents worth (I'm not so cheap as Bill) I believe you need to maintain the mix of both, for those that don't want tab and want to learn by sight and ear they will do so anyway and not open the tab. Some people don't read tab anyway. Tab for some is the safety net and needs to be there, occasionally it is exceptionally useful for getting some of the nuances correct, so maybe partial tabs for those lessons for the more adept players. Maybe a system where the tab is not included for the first few weeks then added later, this is not an unusual technique in education although controversial with some, the reason being that if you learn something incorrectly that is what often sticks, the Law of learning 'First learnt Best remembered'. So I guess a careful mix.

TGMatt

Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:32 pm

I can guarantee you we will not be dropping tabs from almost all the lessons..this was an example of a very very simple lesson , and short that Neil wanted people to stretch just a little.. and this will be a rarity when we do it this way

jim56

Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:47 pm

Hey all, I'm a tab user Big Time! I'd suggest maybe using the rating system of the lesson to determine inclusion of tab, e.g. level 1-6 = tab,level 7-9 = no tab.
That's my 2 bits.

Lavallee

Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:48 pm

I am with Jim but somewhat differently as to label the song. Personally I am good with Neil's plan but not too long ago I would have been very deceived not to see the tabs.

As Wrench mentioned beginners coming to the site might not be ready right away to accept the philosophy since they might be looking for a song learning site only (not necessarily ready to learn the "how to" and the "why" yet), even on simple songs, which are not necessarily simple to them since they are beginners. After 2-3 weeks of working on the guitar, A horse with no name is a very big challenge.

If the song is labeled with the indication no tabs in a no tab section maybe, somebody going there would not be surprised. There could be some contest done on this: here is the song played by Neil , name the chord type of things, some introductions to transcribing. Another one could be Neil playing the song for a while than a blank video with just the sound, test: find the missing chords.

Marc

AcousticAl

Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:38 pm

I don't mind branching away from tab once I have the song down pretty well (if my skill allows for the song). But I use tab A LOT until I get to that point.

Good to hear it's not going anywhere in general Matt.

sbutler

Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:09 pm

Neil/Matt,

I'm not sure how it will haunt me. Since I lean more toward wanting to learn the finger stylist side of guitar, it may prove to be difficult for me, on some songs, at my level.

I have, however started my very own attempt to branch out just tonight. I've studied your guitar solo series enough to be able to add my own alternating bass to Grandfathers clock and Green sleeves. I've gotten fair at both of those. Over the weekend, I was studying your lesson "While my guitar gently weeps" where in Neil mentioned an addition later, that would turn it into a guitar (finger stylist) solo. I though what the heck, I'll apply what I learned in the solo series and see what I come up with. So far not much. But I'm trying.

It will certainly slow down my ability to play a song from end to end, but maybe in the long run, I'll be a better musician because of it.

I guess time will tell.

Scott

haoli25

Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:22 pm

Lavallee wrote:
There could be some contest done on this: here is the song played by Neil , name the chord type of things, some introductions to transcribing. Another one could be Neil playing the song for a while than a blank video with just the sound, test: find the missing chords.

Marc

Marc, I really like this idea, like a "Neil's Guitar Puzzle". That could be a lot of fun as well as a good test of skills. I would hope that the answers could only be submitted by PM rather than Forum reply, that way it would give everyone a fair chance to find the correct answer on their own.

Bill

TGMatt

Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:18 pm

We have some stuff coming starting for the beginners and growing that will meet this need me thinks..

Patience my young padowans...

BigBear

Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:58 am

Neil- I disagree with the "minimalist" approach. For me, it's simply a matter of time. I don't mind figuring out songs but I don't have a fraction of the time needed to learn all the songs I want to learn. It's like doing division or multiplication long-hand. You can do it, but why?

To the Minimalists, may I humbly suggest that if you want to figure out a song on your own, don't download the tab!!!! I don't always use the tab but it's sure nice to have when I need it,

Keep those tabs coming, Neil!! Please!

Cheers! :cheer:

TGNeil

Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:17 am

Bear,

Don't worry, there are no plans for this to become the norm, maybe just an occasional bonus. Again, I was specifically talking about Whole Lotta Love. Have you tried it?

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic