How's your repertoire?

tovo

Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:19 pm

We all work pretty hard to get tunes under our fingers. I've talked with a few friends about the frustration of working on a tune for a few weeks and then going back weeks later to find my ability to play it from memory isn't as good as I would like.

I would say that aspect of my playing is improving all the time and I am better at it than I was a few months ago.

Notwithstanding the fact there are thousands of 3-4 chord songs that we can all play if we have the chords in front of us, I wonder how other members see their repertoire?

Have a think and tell me how many tunes you have in your kitbag, and by that I mean tunes you could sit down and play in front of people well enough to be satisfied with and WITHOUT the tab or chord sheet in front of you.

How's your repertoire?

tvarga

Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:00 pm

Sadly, almost non-existent. As soon as I start working on a new song, the prior one is nearly gone within a week. I know that I need to just keep playing previously learned songs, but I really get into learning and playing a new song over and over again. (Driving my wife crazy!) Some day I hope to spend a few weeks re-learning the songs I've learned through TG over the past year. Maybe at that point, I'll know enough songs to play in front of others. In the meantime, the only proof I have of ever having learned any songs is up on youtube ... luckily. :)

AndyT

Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:32 am

Why everyone's sudden fascination with not using sheet music?

tovo

Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:12 am

AndyT wrote:
Why everyone's sudden fascination with not using sheet music?
Andy, the reason I put that caveat (tunes you can play without reference to music) is because as I alluded to, given the chart we can all play hundreds if not thousands of 3-4 open chord songs.

What I wanted to get was an indication of how many tunes people know so well that they don't need to refer to any notes. I don't have any issues about people referring to charts or tab when they play.

Hope that clears it up? Cheers.

Chasplaya

Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:22 am

You tell me yours and I'll tell you mine ;)

AndyT

Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:26 am

tovo wrote:
What I wanted to get was an indication of how many tunes people know so well that they don't need to refer to any notes. I don't have any issues about people referring to charts or tab when they play.

Hope that clears it up? Cheers.
Based on that, I have at least 4, maybe more. I'd have to try and play them to find out. Not surprisingly, the ones I know for sure are the ones I teach to others. I've explained them so many times that I can just play them almost without thought. I can also sing those without too much effort as well.

Learn theory! It helps you to memorize them! LOL (That one for Bear)

willem

Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:27 am

I love to play out memory..
Norwegain wood.
Heart of gold
Hallelujah
Sail away
You can get it if you really want
Scarborough fair
House ot the rising sun
And i love her

Some dutch songs

the most are strumming and i don't talk about the lyrics and riffs,,i find there nothing wrong with the sheet in front of you but i know it's better to be free and go for it

tovo

Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:30 am

Chasplaya wrote:
You tell me yours and I'll tell you mine ;)
You first.

RicksPick

Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:31 am

Good question Tony

I can hold maybe 6-8 tunes in my noggin at any time,before replacing one with a new chalenge. The ones Im working on,I dont tend to get them finished to proformance level though, I see them as learning techniques.Is that a get out excuse?? I too guess I will some day go back and polish these tune up to a better standard.
I do feel much more confident in tackling any of those 3-4 chord songs and being able to play long within a few mins

RicksPick

AndyT

Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:35 am

If I'm playing with someone and they play it in open chords, I can play along no problem as long as I know the tune, even if I've never played it before. I just need to watch them for the changes.

Does that count? LOL

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic